Cyclocross or Hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

axwj29

Hi

Newbie with a 'what bike' question, I have had a read through the forum and been researching online but I'm still unsure.

I am going to get a bike, with the 'cycle to work' scheme. My budget is £700 tops.

I want a bike that will be fast and fun on roads but can cope with some rougher terrain (forest trails, bumpy tracks). I want something that will be comfortable for all day rides. I live in a rural, hilly area so want something that will help me to cope with the climbs.

I am 5'3 female and have a good level of fitness.

I do have a couple of ideas, but will keep them to myself until I see the suggestions that come back based on the info I've given above!

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to throw ideas/advice at me.

Hi & welcome...

Do you have particular bike in mind? are there any that have caught your eye?

dawn72

Are you restricted to specific retailer by your employer? Is 700 budget with or without the c2w discount?

vickster

Legendary Member
Depends if you want flat bars or drops.
This :smile:

Also, there are very few women specific CX bikes, so you will (if you can find a small enough frame) likely be changing bars, saddle, stem for which you will need to budget (as well as mudguards, rack, lights). That £700 budget will soon disappear.

I'd go for a carbon forked flat bar, probably from Whyte with 50/34 ; 11-32 gearing ...something like the Victoria (stupid name, at least for a bike ;) :biggrin: :whistle: )

OP
OP
axwj29

axwj29

Hi

The bike that has most caught my eye is the Liv/Giant Invite 2. Also various hybrids, including the Liv/Giant Rove 2.

There are lots of retailers in the scheme round here, so I'm not limited at all. My first port of call is the local Giant dealer, as he was around for years before becoming a Giant dealer and has an excellent reputation. The budget is before the scheme discount, but I have allowed another £100 for accessories (so £800 altogether, retail price). Before I looked in to cyclo cross bikes, I was looking at Hybrids around £400.

I have seen a couple of woman specific cyclo cross bikes in budget (including the Invite 2). Some people have said I'd get better spec for a lower price if I buy a men's bike, but as I'm pretty petite I feel that I will benefit from a lady's bike (feel free to tell me if I'm wrong!).

Having had a road bike and a mountain bike as a kid, I'm thinking drop bars... but all my friends have MTB/hybrids, hence I want something that can cope with varied terrain.

Last edited:

Annieshaf

Hi
I have a giant invite 2 and I love it. Yes you cash get a better spec for the money but if you want a ladies cx bike as you say there is not much choice.
I have used mine for tootleing about with the kids but also changed the tyres for gators mins and did a 100km sportive on it last week. It's a really comfortable bike for long distances. The disc brakes are fab and I feel much safer when going at speed now as I know I can stop quickly. I also love the very low bottom gearing ratio which is less than 1x ( ie 30 front and 32 on back), this meant I overtook everyone on a steep hill during my last sportive as a lot were stopping but my bike just kept finding a lower gear to keep on going.
How did you get on with your test ride?

I have both a hybrid and cx (as well as road bike) and the cx with discs is more fun plus better spec and lighter. Must try it with road tyres on as my roadie (T3) only takes a 23 section but cx models have clearancefor mudguards and bigger rubber

OP
OP
axwj29

axwj29

It's great to hear from someone that has an Invite 2!

They didn't have the XS frame in stock, so I'm waiting to hear that I can go and test ride. I tried a couple of Hybrids and am pretty sure I will go with the Invite 2!

ayceejay

Guru
With so many modern frames having a sloping top tube I don't see the advantage of a 'lady' specific frame, neither do I see the advantage of triple chain rings (especially Sora) as they are difficult to set up and maintain - not a good thing for a beginner and for someone who says she has a good level of fitness - unnecessary even with "climbs".
None of this leads to a specific bike I am afraid but you will have more choice with a sloping top tube bike and if generally speaking I think a beginner should keep it simple regarding gears and go for reliability instead of a massive range.

vickster

Legendary Member
With so many modern frames having a sloping top tube I don't see the advantage of a 'lady' specific frame, neither do I see the advantage of triple chain rings (especially Sora) as they are difficult to set up and maintain - not a good thing for a beginner and for someone who says she has a good level of fitness - unnecessary even with "climbs".
None of this leads to a specific bike I am afraid but you will have more choice with a sloping top tube bike and if generally speaking I think a beginner should keep it simple regarding gears and go for reliability instead of a massive range.

It's not only about the slope or not of the top tube. The geometry is different, the headtube is often taller, the stem and cranks shorter, the saddle different, and sometimes we like to have a cycling product that has actually been purposefully designed with women in mind and don't want to have to pay to swap out the aforementioned components :smile: Even as a tall woman, a stock "men's" road bike is rarely right for me

I'm guessing you are a man ;)

Top Bottom