D-day beaches tour 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If there's more than 2 of you don't get the train! THe services from the west midlands to portsmouth are on cross country trains and they only take 2 bikes per train. It's totally crap! Apologies if you've worked this one out already, but I'm late to the thread and I'm speaking from experience too!

JackE

Über Member
A local CTC friend says that a great way to do the D-Day beaches tour is to get the overnight ferry on the 5th June from Portsmouth to Caen. This arrives off the Normandy coast at dawn on the 6th June. He did it in the mid-90's and the ferry was full of WW2 clubs and societies with most people in uniform of various types. There were some "real" veterans as well and as he cycled up the ramp he was being passed by all sorts of restored WW2 military vehicles.
It is a very popular crossing so you have to book as soon as tickets become available. I'm hoping to do it next year.

OP
OP
Penfold

Penfold

JackE,
My motley crew have done the anniversay D-day visits (did the 60th and the 65th) and seperate visits to Normandy too. I agree its great to go with the Vets plus all the old vehicles.
For this tour though 'we' want to go 'out-of-season' ie, end of June when the museums are quiet and you can actualy get to see things (one of the draw backs of the anniversay visits...Blast and damn to Brown, Obama and the French twit Sarkozy (Sp?) Why shut down a whole stretch of beach miles away from where they are? Ah well that's another thread....Moans of the 21st Century (lol)

OP
OP
Penfold

Penfold

Ok this tour is Green for go....The logistics are sorted....We have a friendly wife (that sounds soooooo bad. lol) who has offered to drive a van to pompey unload us at the ferry port then return a week later to pick us up....Result!

So if you have read this thread from the start you will know that 'we' have some experience of Normandy and the beaches, but as we have a week to tour what are the must-see battle sites/memorials/museums that we need to get to that lie maybe 10/15 miles inland along this front?

Started my kit collection with a Pro-action one man tent from Argos £50 reduced in their sale to £24....I have some other Pro-action gear and to be fair it performs OK. The tent's a doddle to put up and weighs in at just 2 Kgs so not bad for the dosh (imho)
Need a small stove next any ideas?

peanut

good luck. Sounds like you have most of the logistics sorted. Luckily you won't need any mulberries to offload your stuff at the other side.:biggrin:

Hope you'll post if you get a chance whilst you are over there.

what date have you set for D Day ?

albal

Guru
Sorry penfold i only just looked at your plan.
You would of been welcome to park your van at mine or my mothers (a short distance) for a week next june. But you'd have to ship from Poole. (4 miles).;).May even be doing same as you. We plan trips 2 months in advance.:ohmy:!

OP
OP
Penfold

Penfold

peanut,

No def date sorted yet, some want to wait till after World Cup others don't give a t*ss about footy so still date to be fixed. Will update if possible with pics (I hope) but I thought of doing a CGOAB journal too.

CeeDee51,

Thats a cool looking stove.....In the words of the kids and grandkids. "I want one of those"........Will pre-order for when they are back in stock. Thanks very much for the tip.

albal,

Many thanks for the offer.....Ain't fellow bikeists a great bunch.

OP
OP
Penfold

Penfold

An update on an tour idea

Well a date HAS been set......June 4th 2010...Pompey to Cherbourg....Return 13th Caen to Pompey....At this moment in time 'we' are 5 in number, but that may change.

Right then, anyone use a Trianga stove I have read reviews of these and the simplicity appeals...Fancy the 27-2UL set......CeeDee51 recomended a 'mini stove' but I just can't make my mind up between multi-fuel, gas, meths etc.

Chrisz

Über Member
You mean a Trangia stove? Lovely bit of kit - simplicity itself. Best of all, as it runs on meths you can dilute your fuel with water and therefore carry less :ohmy:

OP
OP
Penfold

Penfold

Chrisz said:
You mean a Trangia stove? Lovely bit of kit - simplicity itself. Best of all, as it runs on meths you can dilute your fuel with water and therefore carry less :biggrin:

Yes sorry, Trangia......went a bit spelling duffer in that post....:smile:

Dilute the Meths with water? what's the idea behind that? Sorry never used one so not clued up.

Chrisz

Über Member
If you dilute the meths - I think 20% water is the recommendation - it (a) lasts longer, (:smile: burns slightly slower and (c) burns cleaner.

Top Bottom