D-day beaches tour 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Penfold

Penfold

Cathryn said:
VERY glad this is now happening after my sage advice on crazyguy...you should always seize the day! Sounds brilliant.

Ahhh, C.R. ;)

Hope that Mr Bump is being good :smile:.
The trip you refer to is an additional one that 'we' hope to complete some time in September 2010.
The D-day tour will be a testing ground for us tour virgins and if we like it ( Ha, ha, you never know) then its Hells Highway and follow XXX Corps to Arnhem's Bridge too far. :wacko:

snorri

Legendary Member
My diary for a six week cycle tour is shorter than yours, and you haven't even left home yet.:sad:
I covered some of your intended route a few years ago, an interesting and moving experience. I visited many military cemeteries large and small, but found I could not enter the US cemetery, too many noisy people, it just didn't feel right, I hope you find it different.
This tour will certainly not fail due to a lack of planning.:biggrin:

OP
OP
Penfold

Penfold

snorri,

Strange but the last time I visited the U.S. cemetery I found the complete opposite, total respect, it was one of the most moving experiences I have had in any memorial.

About the CGOAB journal....Perhaps I'm just a bit of a yakker? Hell fire who cares its just for fun eh (lol)

snorri

Legendary Member
Penfold said:
About the CGOAB journal....Perhaps I'm just a bit of a yakker? Hell fire who cares its just for fun eh (lol)
My comment was definitely in jest:smile:, I wish I could write up a good report but things never get beyond the rough notes stage with me. Stilll, it is good to have a record to help bring back the happy memories.:biggrin:

Tony

If you had the opportunity, a visit to the Polish graves at Falaise would be worth doing. It is one of the most moving places I have ever been.
Will follow the cgoab log.....

OP
OP
Penfold

Penfold

Tony,
Thanks for that tip...Never been to the Falaise area and we are up for anything new.
Hell fire we've a ten day pass-out from the wives, so we have to make the most of it (lol)

Tony

Just read the visitors' book and try to stay dry-eyed. Fitting that the unit that did so much to close the Falaise Gap and destroy the German army in the West was from the country they first attacked.

OP
OP
Penfold

Penfold

Updates (well it has been a while now)

A new bike has been purchased (Koga Signature) pics are on the website here:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Penfoldsmith

You will now see that the ten day cycle tour will be made up of 5 riders, with a further 4 Jolly Boys coming over by car for the final weekend.

Its all booked up and the clock is ticking. Just a few odds and sods to sort out, cooker, multi tool, shorts (Lycra or baggies), footwear (SPD's or Trainer types) so many questions, so little time.

OP
OP
Penfold

Penfold

Firstly sorry for bringing this back to the top...;)

The countdown clock for 'our' D-day beaches tour is now in single figures.

There have been a fair few add-ons to the CGOAB journal so please take a look....
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Penfoldsmith

Perhaps the most important item is that this tour is now an official event for the 'Help for Heroes' charity :troll:

Please do have a look at their website to gauge just what a fantastic charity this is, they do awesome work for our boys and girls.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

pinkkaz

Veteran
Good luck with it!

I cycled around Normandy last summer and followed the coast road from Arromaches to Honfleur. We did that bit in one day so you're going to have loads of time for detours. Make sure you go to Bayeux.

It's lovely in Normandy.

Top Bottom