D Day ... Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1591469701672.png

winjim

Smash the cistern
I find wartime comparisons grossly offensive at the best of times. These are not the best of times.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Like so many during the current crisis i have been working full time, not furloughed not behind a shield ... but hardly at risk.
The point i was trying to make was simple . They where so brave ... we seem to be a shadow of them .... they lived and functioned through hell ... we are in a different place ... self obsessed with safety.
Did you go out and clap for the NHS ?
When did you clap for the staff at Aldi, Lidl, Asda .... just winged about the queues .....
Teachers that are happy to shop in busy supermarkets but frightened of children ...
We clap for the people that sent infected residents back into care homes but not for the staff of Tesco's ...
We lost our mother in law, in a care home, in Cornwall, it says C-19 on her death cert. She had dementia for many years.
Again ..
What happened to us ..:sad:
I’m not sure what’s happened to you but I’m really proud of everyone I know from my 88 year old widowed mother who lives on her own and deals with the challenges of isolation; to my younger son, who has worked with poor supplies of PPE, has caught Covid himself, has gone back to work, has held hands with his patients as they die. They would have died alone if it wasn’t for him.

You need to get out and meet some real people rather than believing the stories you read in the tabloids.

dodgy

Today is D Day .... thousands of men and women threw themselves into the invasion of Europe with out a single risk assessment being carried out.
Their lives often measured in minutes for the greater good.
How would those truly heroic men and women view the utter cowardice of a nation when faced with a virus ?
Terrified of going back to work. Terrified of schools. Terrified of the bus ......
What happened to us .......................:sad:

Hi there, you're a prick.

Levo-Lon

Guru
My father's best mate David, aged 20, landed on Gold beach on D-day. He saw people drowning, people who were scared, people who were brave, people who were killed next to him. Those memories never left him and he died still having nightmares 60 years later.

My son, aged 27 is a junior doctor. He's been working on Covid wards for the last two and a half months. He's seen people 'drown' from interstitial pneumonia, he's seen more death than many doctors see in their career. Those memories will never leave him.

People have every right to be scared of the virus. The reality is frightening.

Old veteran on tv last week..his comment "there wasn't any atheists during D day I can tell you that" about sums it up

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The point i was trying to make was simple . They where so brave ... we seem to be a shadow of them .... they lived and functioned through hell ... we are in a different place ... self obsessed with safety.
It’s a different type of enemy and a different type of danger.

If you could defeat the Nazis by staying at home for 3 months they would have done it.

My grandfather was involved in d day as a dispatch rider. He had to push his motorbike up gold beach and was mentioned in dispatches a couple of days later for his actions behind enemy lines. He was a brave man but it was the only way to defeat facism.

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
Thanks for the reasoned discussion chaps .... and the offensive comments and the personal slurs ..... and thanks mods for the ... moderation ?
Respect to your Grandfather Beebo.
Anyroadup ... I'm off for a cycle in the morning ....^_^

Last edited:
I wont bother to say thanks for the offensive opening post, I think you know why....

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
While I totally agree with your assessment of how pathetic our society has become, I don't think it's at all fair to denigrate the current caution relative to the bravery of those involved in D-Day.

Is it brave to carry on regardless with the knowledge that your actions could be responsible for the deaths of many others?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
While I totally agree with your assessment of how pathetic our society has become, I don't think it's at all fair to denigrate the current caution relative to the bravery of those involved in D-Day.

Is it brave to carry on regardless with the knowledge that your actions could be responsible for the deaths of many others?
Society has not become in any way pathetic in comparison to how it was on D Day. Should another WW2 scenario ever occur the same percentages of the population would be doing what those alive back then did. Human beings never really change, they just evolve and adapt to their times.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Here's an analogy - during the war there were loads of restrictions - no showing light at night for instance. I don't think anyone then or now would suggest they should have been braver and defied the nazis by lighting up everywhere like the Blackpool Illuminations.

D-Day was a masterpiece of planning where every risk was assessed, avoided, mitigated or accepted. It is specious to suggest that there was no risk assessment and that those undoubted heroes would have succeeded with only their bravery

lane

Veteran
It's the ones who complain about "lockdown" as if it is some sort of torturous imprisonment and against their human rights that wind me up. FFS; for the most part lockdown is a minor inconvenience. So you have to stay in your house with an abundance of entertainment on the net or TV, with your central heating and protection from the elements. Boo feckin hoo... You aren't being asked to go and fight in a war, up to your knees in mud for months on end in a trench, dodging bombs and bullets in sub zero temperatures during winter months. Oh, and you're still allowed out of the house to go to the supermarket which are still stocked with all the things we take for granted, while the Government pay you 80% of your wages. Yes I know there will be genuine cases of hardship; I wouldn't like to own a pub at the moment, for example. But my point is, it's not WW1 or WW2.. Some think they're hard done to when they can't see how lucky we are compared to previous generations.

If you are one of the millions who may lose Thier job probably more than a minor inconvenience. Also with no clear endpoint and likelihood of a second spike it's not unreasonable to at least question if the policy actually makes sense in the long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom