D Day ... Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Today is D Day .... thousands of men and women threw themselves into the invasion of Europe with out a single risk assessment being carried out.
Their lives often measured in minutes for the greater good.
How would those truly heroic men and women view the utter cowardice of a nation when faced with a virus ?
Terrified of going back to work. Terrified of schools. Terrified of the bus ......
What happened to us .......................:sad:

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
It could be said that both groups were/are apprehensive of meeting their maker prematurely.

Today is D Day .... thousands of men and women threw themselves into the invasion of Europe with out a single risk assessment being carried out.
Their lives often measured in minutes for the greater good.
How would those truly heroic men and women view the utter cowardice of a nation when faced with a virus ?
Terrified of going back to work. Terrified of schools. Terrified of the bus ......

Don't know what happened to you, but I hope that people behave semsibly and don't cause either unnecessary deaths or strain on the NHS.

Let's see now:

The death toll on D-Day has traditionally been estimated at 2,500 although recent research suggests it may in fact be twice as high.
An estimated 4,288 died of Coronavirus yesterday, down from a peak of 9,796 on 30 April.

Rocky

Hello decadence
My father's best mate David, aged 20, landed on Gold beach on D-day. He saw people drowning, people who were scared, people who were brave, people who were killed next to him. Those memories never left him and he died still having nightmares 60 years later.

My son, aged 27 is a junior doctor. He's been working on Covid wards for the last two and a half months. He's seen people 'drown' from interstitial pneumonia, he's seen more death than many doctors see in their career. Those memories will never leave him.

People have every right to be scared of the virus. The reality is frightening.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
In just 3 months we are already close to the total number of UK civilian deaths in the 5-6 years of WWII and it would be a very safe bet that the eventual total will be higher. If you take the UK military casualties in WWII into account too then the total would be about 450,000. That is less than the estimated number of fatalities that the UK would have had from coronavirus if we 'cowards' hadn't decided that actually we didn't want 10% of our grandparents and parents and a significant number of our other family members, friends and neighbours to die horribly.

Considering just one potential cause of death from the virus...

European Respiratory Journal said:
We report an overall 24%(95% CI; 17–32%) cumulative incidence of pulmonary embolism in patients with COVID-19 pneumonia, 50% (30–70%) in ICU and 18% (12–27%) in other patients
Speaking as someone who twice nearly died from Pulmonary Embolism, it isn't a fate I would wish on my worst enemy, let alone the people I love. Washing hands more frequently, missing out on a few nice bike rides, and not being able to cough our guts up on complete strangers is a small price to pay to avoid losing a nightmarish battle for breath.

Brandane

Legendary Member
It's the ones who complain about "lockdown" as if it is some sort of torturous imprisonment and against their human rights that wind me up. FFS; for the most part lockdown is a minor inconvenience. So you have to stay in your house with an abundance of entertainment on the net or TV, with your central heating and protection from the elements. Boo feckin hoo... You aren't being asked to go and fight in a war, up to your knees in mud for months on end in a trench, dodging bombs and bullets in sub zero temperatures during winter months. Oh, and you're still allowed out of the house to go to the supermarket which are still stocked with all the things we take for granted, while the Government pay you 80% of your wages. Yes I know there will be genuine cases of hardship; I wouldn't like to own a pub at the moment, for example. But my point is, it's not WW1 or WW2.. Some think they're hard done to when they can't see how lucky we are compared to previous generations.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
And if we are doing comparisons with WWII...

Ignoring the virus and hoping that it will just go away would actually be like Chamberlain having his appeasing cosy chats with Hitler. Doing what we are doing now IS fighting the damn bug.

My dad was on one of the landing craft on D-Day. I know all about it. He told me the horror stories... They did what they had to do. We are doing what we have to.

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
November 2020 .... when the repossessions start, the unemployed hits 4 million, the state pension is cut in half and private pensions are wiped out ..... I'm sure we will all feel the same ...

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
Like so many during the current crisis i have been working full time, not furloughed not behind a shield ... but hardly at risk.
The point i was trying to make was simple . They where so brave ... we seem to be a shadow of them .... they lived and functioned through hell ... we are in a different place ... self obsessed with safety.
Did you go out and clap for the NHS ?
When did you clap for the staff at Aldi, Lidl, Asda .... just winged about the queues .....
Teachers that are happy to shop in busy supermarkets but frightened of children ...
We clap for the people that sent infected residents back into care homes but not for the staff of Tesco's ...
We lost our mother in law, in a care home, in Cornwall, it says C-19 on her death cert. She had dementia for many years.
Again ..
What happened to us ..:sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom