D lock won't open again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Downward

Guru
So this is the 2nd time I have had an issue with the Squire D lock range.
Original one wouldn't open, luckily nothing was attached.
They replaced it under warranty.
Today after what 2 years I went to lock up my bikes in the shed and again it won't open.

This is my spare lock and I keep the other at work, Not filling me with hope for the future.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
What goes wrong? Does the key not turn? I think mine is a Squire. Sometimes I think I ought to grease the lock. I may have actually done that once. Not had any real trouble with it.

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
Yeah I sprayed in loads of chain cleaner degreaser, the key just won't move unless forced i.e. with pliers.

Tried the new spare key and it moves slightly operating the locking mechanism but it's not smooth and certainly isn't operating the open, close mechanism.

classic33

Leg End Member
Have you used anything that may have distorted/melted any thin plastic within the lock itself? And is the flow of any liquid always in the same direction, avoiding a build-up within the lock.

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
Last used a couple of weeks ago, it's been in my car boot since then. No sign of anything happened.
It seems to have gone the way of the last lock I had.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
So this is the 2nd time I have had an issue with the Squire D lock range.
Original one wouldn't open, luckily nothing was attached.
They replaced it under warranty.
Today after what 2 years I went to lock up my bikes in the shed and again it won't open.

This is my spare lock and I keep the other at work, Not filling me with hope for the future.
I have had the same problem, not with that brand though. When it happened to me, it was locking up my bike to a railing. After a lot of ranting and raising my blood pressure, I managed to get the key all the way in. It eventually worked for me by turning the lock upside down and inserting the key in from the bottom. Like others have said, greasing it wouldn't be a bad idea, I wish I'd the foresight to do that.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I don't know the Squire locks but unless they are stainless steel they will happily rust in a garage.

Get a thick chain and a stainless steel padlock like

2cifzfn.jpg

and it will still be happily turning when we are all six feet under.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It'll still be happily turning because it'll sit in the garage unless someone feels like doing weight training!

The 16mm A4-ish D lock has won for a reason: it's a good compromise between practicality (easy to carry but fits most parking stands), weight (under 2kg) and security (5 minutes with hand tools, 2 with power tools). A similar strength chain and padlock can easily be over 5kg. If you're willing to accept less strength, a D lock will probably still beat chains of similar weight.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Degreaser is the enemy of lubricant, isn't it?

Care is needed with lubing a lock.

A lot of oils and greases are too thick and gunky for the small mechanism.

Graphite is what's required.

The old trick being to rub a soft pencil on either side of the key.

Or buy a little pot of dedicated lock lube - often just graphite powder with some free air in the bottle to enable you to puff the powder into the lock.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1321...paignid=207297426&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0

Top Bottom