D lock won't open again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
You can open almost any lock with the right bump key and/or patience. I'm prepared to bet most bike thieves would come equipped with bolt cutters and a car jack rather than lock picking equipment though. This would be not least because you can just about explain those two items bu if you have a lock picking kit you have a nailed on "going equipped" conviction.

Incidentally picking is quite a useful (and easy) skill to learn along with how to break into cars. Never know when you/a friend will lock themselves out of house or car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
I'm cursed, locked the bikes up yesterday with the spare lock. Unlocked it earlier to get bike out and it won't lock again !

Could be worse could have locked all 3 bikes together.

I'm definitely getting a padlock as I have a cable running through 3 bikes.

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
No the one that's broke today is about 8 years old.
Down to my last one now, although with the 10 year warranty the one that broke yesterday should be replaced.

classic33

Leg End Member
Innertube with a presta valve. Inflate and use to blow any dirt that may be in the lock out.

Using the same way everytime. If you use the keyslot, use that each time. Avoid any possibilty of building up a deposit within the lock.

byegad

Legendary Member
Degreaser will degrease the parts and jam it! As many have hinted at above. If a goodly squirt of GT85 won't open it then only destroying it will get it open.

Reactions: mjr
We have filing cabinet at work that couldn't be opened. The key went easily into the lock but wouldn't turn. On playing around with it I found the key would fit into the lock both ways (turned 180 degrees if you see what I mean). When putting the key in the correct way it feels wrong but it opens the cupboard.
Don't suppose it could be that simple?

Tom B

Guru
Warm it up?? Cool it down...?

I had a squire Dlock that died in the same way.

Top Bottom