Dad .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelM

Guru
there's someone on the phone who wants to speak to the property owner.

That's the 4th time today. I wonder if they're still waiting for dad to come to the phone.

BT keeps ringing me asking if I want to change to them from Sky. I must have had 3 calls in 2 weeks recently. I try to be polite, but there's only so many ways of saying 'no thanks'.

Not BT - but what gets me about a lot of companies that call on the phone is that if you ask them to send you info in the post so you can look at it over a cup of coffee, they won't. At which point I always say 'well if I can't think about it at a time that suits me, the answer is no'.

Bayerd

Über Member
beanzontoast said:
BT keeps ringing me asking if I want to change to them from Sky. I must have had 3 calls in 2 weeks recently. I try to be polite, but there's only so many ways of saying 'no thanks'.

Not BT - but what gets me about a lot of companies that call on the phone is that if you ask them to send you info in the post so you can look at it over a cup of coffee, they won't. At which point I always say 'well if I can't think about it at a time that suits me, the answer is no'.

Asking for info to be sent is nothing more than another way of saying no. Brochures only make money for the printers.....

TVC

I tell them that I'm a member of the telephone preference service, so I know reputable companies would not call me.....
That tends to stop them dead.

Ste T.

Guru
I usually say "just hold on while I get a pen" then put the phone down on the table and get on with what ever I was doing. Go back five minutes later and they will be gone. I developed this method after years of being woken up in the day while on nights by people selling.

BearPear

Veteran
Another vote for the telephone preference service - I am registerred - and the calls have virtually stopped completely. When I say "I'm registerred with the TPS and you can be fined £2000 for calling me" generally gets rid of the little blighters!

Before I registerred I always used to say in a firm voice "sorry, I'm not interested" and hang up, but the kids thought that I was being rude and it disturbed them a bit because I am usually kindness itself (!)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
+1 for TPS. It doesn't stop all o' the buggers, but it stops a lot. You certainly wouldn't get called by the likes of BT. And if you tell other callers you're registered, they always apologise and promise to take you off their list...and tho' I don't keep records, I think they generally do.

JamesMorgan

The problem with the TPS is that only stops calls from the UK. I get loads of calls from the sub-continent (probably India). They are not interested in whether you have registered with the TPS, nor whether you play childish games such as leaving the phone off the hook. It is just one of the drawbacks with modern communication - like junk mail, you just have to accept you throw it in the bin each morning.

Bman

Guru
TPS and a block on all withheld numbers (your phone provider should be able to sort this).

Problem solved.

Maizie

Veteran
More agreement for TPS!

And also, you can get caller ID - with BT this is free. We don't pick up the phone for if the number shows up as withheld, international, or an 0800/0870. If it were anyone important, they'd leave a message.

They always hang up when the answerphone kicks in :biggrin:

For really persistent beggers, if you get the number you can Google it. We had an 0870 number that was calling us up to 8 times per day. The only time I did pick it up - because I wanted to tell them to PLEASE STOP - there was nobody there! They had automated dialling that called more numbers than they had staff, so only the 'lucky few' got an actual person to talk to at the then.
On Googling that number there were lots of people having the same problem. I reported it in to OFCOM via their website - they don't actually look at individual complaints but if they receive several complaints about the same number, that's when they look in to it. Calls stopped shortly thereafter :smile:

I had this once...bloke rang me up and droned on abot some crap he wanted to sell me so I put the phone down...He then rang me up a few minutes later saying I couldn't do that....

Never get any calls now...I think they are blocked.

Top Bottom