Daftest (maybe)/closest to folk you've ever freecamped/bivvied

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a theory, need to test it more, that the safest/least likely to be discovered/bothered places are often quite close to folk where they will be beetling past/have no reason to stop, rather than the "deserted" spots possibly frequented by other nature hounds/dog walkers and the like.

So have bivived with minimal cover in a verge alongside a service road just off a dual carriageway.

Anyone got any others?

Oh, there was the time, sans bike, many many years ago on a roundabout in the Bois de Bolougne in Paris - friend told me in the morning that prostitutes had been taking clients there all through the night. I slept like a log.

On top of a shepherd's hut built into a hillside in Portugal. I didn't realise until the next morning when the shepherd came out and complained his dog's barking had kept him awake all night.

robjh

Legendary Member
This bivi in a derelict chapel on the edge of a central Spanish village was a very good choice in some ways as I stayed warm and alive despite near-zero temperatures outside, but the state of the roof, piles of rubble and cracks in the walls gave me pause for thought when I saw them clearly in the morning light.
20180401 (5) Pancrudo.jpg

robjh

Legendary Member
There was also this one in Portugal a few years back, on a beach near Porto airport where I arrived near midnight. There were some bars further up the beach road but this seemed like a quiet, dark spot that would do for the night. Just as I was dropping off, two people wandered over from the bars, lay down a few meters in front of me and as far as I could tell in the dark and against the sound of the waves, had sex in the sand.
Next morning I was woken before dawn by the blinding headlights of the machine that rakes the sand which I thought was heading towards me. Somehow I managed to reassure myself that I was on a slight rise in the dunes that wouldn't get raked, and slept on until sunrise, when my only companions on the beach were some early-morning fishermen.
PT 200809 Matosinhos Praia da Memória (2).jpg

The view in the other direction was of the Matosinhos oil refinery
PT 200809 Matosinhos Praia da Memória.jpg

I read a couple of years ago about a bloke who was cycling from Cardiff to the Brecon Beacons. Started late in the evening so needed to stop in the Beacons just above Merthyr. Made camp in a field beside a rough wall. He was woken up in the late night by noise and lights, peeped over the wall only to find that he had chosen a spot next to a notorious dogging site. Luckily he wasn't found, but couldn't get up to leave and didn't get much sleep.

Probably apocryphal, but it made me smile, and I like to believe it.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
One night in the early 80s on wanderabout, I ended up in Edinburgh. Uphill and out of the wind seemed the best plan. So uphill I went - some kind of public park I thought - but with a big high wall for shelter and nobody about. I'd only slept under the wall of Edinburgh castle! It would be impossible to get an uninterrupted night's kip there nowadays.

MikeG

Guru
On a formal lawn against a flagpole in front of a provincial policestation somewhere in South Australia. Arrived after dark, and had no idea of the circumstance until first light.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
This bivi in a derelict chapel on the edge of a central Spanish village was a very good choice in some ways as I stayed warm and alive despite near-zero temperatures outside, but the state of the roof, piles of rubble and cracks in the walls gave me pause for thought when I saw them clearly in the morning light.
View attachment 440956
I know a deserted church a bit like that in the UK's eastern parts where I have every intention of spending a night.

But better keep it to myself in case I find myself waking up to a cyclechat rave.

Top Bottom