daftest thing you have done regarding cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I should like to state , from my university days as evidence,
that just because you can do a Prussian Dismount on a bicycle
doesn't mean you can after the ingestion of an unfortunate amount of liquor.
GF was not amused .

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
The dumbest thing I ever did regarding cycling was to stop cycling for several years, while living in Sydney. I moved to Melbourne in late 2008 and started cycling again, but really regret not doing more cycling in Sydney, and seeing more of those lovely hills by bicycle.

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Embarrassing since everyone else's seem to be in days gone by, mine was about 2 months ago, maybe less. About 15 miles into a weekend blat, got to a nice downhill straight across the forest (under the a35) where you can pick up a descent speed. Anyway, relaxing and down on the drops, I noticed the left bar end was a bit loose. You might be ahead of me now... Adjusted it, then brought back my left palm to give it a good whack. As I contacted and the handlebars jolted around like a tank slapper, all I could do was think how much of an idiot I was. Managed not to fall off though somehow. Most stupid thing? I did the same thing about 2 weeks earlier!

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I preached to various London members of this forum continuously about the virtues of Di2 only to go on a ride with them after the previous day was spent fettling Di2. Unfortunately I had not plugged the battery back in correctly and it stopped working on the way to Ally Pally and stuck me in the biggest gear I had just before we got to the hills
I had a walk, the others had a giggle.. Never live it down

the_mikey

Legendary Member
When I was 9, built a ramp out of a piece of wood and bricks, but instead of settling for one or two bricks high I went for 3.... Pedaled at it as hard as I could, launched into the air on my Raleigh strika, the bike was unstable and landed hard front wheel first, my weight tipped the balance and resulted in me landing face first on the asphalt. I still have a chipped tooth from that incident (and I wasn't wearing a helmet).

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
When I invented Mountain Biking in the early-70's, using our neighborhood alley, we would ride down the hill at full pelt, dutifully stop for the street crossing, then try to get up to speed again before going off the ramp into our neighbors pool before they drained it for the season. My parents and the neighbors would all gather on the patio and watch the organized stupidity. Afterwords, we would take the bikes apart to drain the water out. Then the dogs were allowed to go swimming. I believe there is Super 8 film of this somewhere.

Julia9054

Guru
Not me, this one, but my sister.
Stopped by a police officer one Friday night wobbling back from the pub on her bike when she was a student. Given a ticking off about riding under the influence.
Caught by the same copper, in the same place the following Friday night in the same state. Decided to give him some friendly career advice about catching real criminals
She now has an official police caution on her record for being drunk in charge of a bicycle.
Which despite it being 20 years ago, due to her being a teacher, is never spent and she has to declare it at job interviews!

jhawk

Veteran
Not me, this one, but my sister.
Stopped by a police officer one Friday night wobbling back from the pub on her bike when she was a student. Given a ticking off about riding under the influence.
Caught by the same copper, in the same place the following Friday night in the same state. Decided to give him some friendly career advice about catching real criminals
She now has an official police caution on her record for being drunk in charge of a bicycle.
Which despite it being 20 years ago, due to her being a teacher, is never spent and she has to declare it at job interviews!

Been there, done that, not been caught! :biggrin:

Ollie W

Cycling pls
Bought my bike and picked it up from the LBS en route to work. Got to work, ready to lock it up... Realised that the keys to the lock were cable tied to the rest of the lock. Attempted to cut the tie with my house key and after about twenty minutes was getting nowhere... Only then did I realise there was a market stall with scissors literally two metres from me!

The only other incident I've had was cycling with my wife. She was on her Pendleton bike, going along at a relaxed pace. I decided to ride behind to get her slipstream. I, however, was dressed in my wind proof jacket, helmet and gloves. And to think I wondered why people on the pavement were laughing at me riding behind my wife...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
i rode the remaining 12 miles with my brake fully on, up some long hills as well :wacko: at least i wont make the same mistake again!

lets hear your funny tales
I did the Red Rose Ride audax in 2009 with occasional CycleChatter 'goodspeed'. It was 202 km or 126 miles in length, with some testing hills. We eventually got back to the car park in Halifax where he'd left his vehicle, and I dismounted a few yards away and went to walk the bike round to the tailgate. It was immediately obvious that the back brake was rubbing. I must have knocked it that morning when putting the bike into the car or taking it out. It explained why I felt so shattered! :laugh:

Octet

Veteran
First time on a road bike, not thinking through the differences between mountain bike tyres and road tyres I went straight for the curb to go into a shop car park expecting to bounce over it....

The wheel whipped back so it was once again parallel, I went sideways and the bike kept going..... wouldn't of been so bad if the shop hadn't been packed full of people.

Top Bottom