daftest thing you have done regarding cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Daftest thing I ever did was follow an 'easy' route in MBR magazine round Rushop Edge and Edale.
Apart from the rocks requiring 6 foot travel suspension, trail bikes had left the whole route riddled with foot deep trenches.
Swerved to avoid a trench on steep downhill, went over bars, and ran pedal spikes the length of my left shin.
Eventually got back to Castleton and my car, leg covered in blood, where I'd left the first aid kit :scratch:
Mentioned the route in one of the shops. Owner said only a real maniac would take a mountain bike round there!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Daftest thing so far was thinking... "yeah, cycling... that'll be a nice cheap hobby..."
I was advised by my doctor to take up exercise or face serious consequences to my health. So I figured cycling would be easiest. And cheapest...

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
During a real eco-warrior phase a couple of Year ago I decided to do the monthly supermaket shop by bike.
Shouldn't be a problem, I have a carp fishing rucksack that you could stuff a small car in so no worries there.
Anyway, long story short, by the time I'd stuffed this thing to the brim with shopping, including 9 litres of drinks, it was obviously pretty weighty to the point where I really struggled to load it onto my back.
I realised just how weighty it was when up the first tiny incline, the front wheel lifted straight from the floor and I tottered along for a precarious few feet like evil kenivel waiting to be dumped on my arse (it never occured to me to hit the back brake :blush:)
That wasn't the worst of it though, having such a massive load overhanging the rear wheel made the whole affair completely unstable even on the flat and I had a very hairy ride home.

Funnily enough, I've used the car for the shopping ever since..

You WUSS!!

....... The key is to buy smaller amounts more regularly, therefore saving your back from an early grave! Panniers might have helped too! :laugh:

Annyway, what is the daftest thing..... hmmm, how long do you have?? :blush:

Could it be buying the £30 BSO that is now rapidly rusting to nothing in the shed? Could it be the time I tried to cycle down several flights of rather steep concrete steps at Dumbarton East Railway Station as a kid and instinctively touched the front brake lever to slow down, sending me arse over tip, almost killing myself and the bike? Could it be when I crashed into a gate and forced my teeth through my top lip, also when I was a kid? Could it be any other of the numerous accidents (and minor head injuries) I had as a kid? Could it be me not cycling for several years? Could it be all the Clipless Moments I've had since? Could it be... Could it be....... Yep, got it!

..... JOINING THIS FORUM!!

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
When I was 9, built a ramp out of a piece of wood and bricks, but instead of settling for one or two bricks high I went for 3.... Pedaled at it as hard as I could, launched into the air on my Raleigh strika, the bike was unstable and landed hard front wheel first, my weight tipped the balance and resulted in me landing face first on the asphalt. I still have a chipped tooth from that incident (and I wasn't wearing a helmet).

Bizarre, same thing for me, same bike, same age, though I have a nice scar on the chin for my efforts.

Top Bottom