Dahon v. Brompton for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
If we are showing off a bit: Here are four Brommies parked at the ferry terminal ready to head 800km south to Bordeaux:

IMG_20140614_070630.jpg

And here is another way of doing it fully tented with a husband and wife team with two Brommies and trailers I met coming the other way on the Canal du Midi:

IMG_20140623_150900.jpg

In total four T-Bags!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
So this is what I have in mind for either the Brompton or the Dahon. I think if I get the T bag, a lower geared front cog and a QD rack with rucksack this is what I am going to do on the Brompton: ( Pinched this from a website, apologies if I have not made the proper acknowledgements which are beyond my computing ability)

London ► Barcelona

• Step 2, take the 21:56 Intercité de Nuit overnight train with couchettes from Paris to Perpignan, arriving at 07:20. Have breakfast in Perpignan.
Barcelona ► London

• Step 3, travel from Paris to London by Eurostar. A Eurostar leaves Paris Gare du Nord at 09:13 arriving London St Pancras at 10:39.
How much does it cost?

• London to Paris starts at £34.50 one-way or £69 return in 2nd class, £97 one-way or £195 return in 1st class.
    • Paris to Perpignan starts at £18 each way in a reclining seat, £33 in a 6-berth 2nd class couchette or £57 in a 4-berth 1st class couchette. A couchette is recommended, whatever your budget, for comfort & security.
    • Perpignan to Barcelona by TGV starts at £26 each way if you pre-book.
How to buy tickets...

That'll be from the most excellent seat61 site. I'd certainly take the Brompton over, well, anything if it's going in a couchette. They're cramped enough without getting all snuggly with a bike!

View attachment 63083

Cycle-camping at its best! The rack and the front block can safely carry about 11 kg each. If you can convert to the 6-speed, it will be even better for camping. Look under the chain stay for a peg near the tensioner, which points down from the stay: the derailleur attaches there.
What's the blue bag on the back brommyboy?

I have a rackon my 5 speed and am trying to figure out a bag solution for it.

I can get up some pretty big hills on mine but cannot help but wonder/worry/frett about what it would be like getting up a hill fully loaded.

Brommyboy

Über Member
Thee rear bag is an Ortleib: http://www.ortlieb.co.uk/backpacks/x-plorer.html
It is attached to saddle and rack using two 90cm bungees. The straps allow for easier carrying when bike folded. For the 5-speed Brompton, I used a 14T rear sprocket with the 44T chain ring, and got up most hills. My picture (left) is going up the Applecross Pass unladen. For home use, I changed the sprocket for the usual 13T one.

Many thanks for the reply and encouraging words on the 5 speed.

Which size of that Ortlieb bag is it that you use?

Is the bungee strapping pretty straightforward and stabld? Edit stable

I have seen similar systems using rucksacks and did do a preliminary search for suitable rucksacks but I like the potential simplicity of your system. I already have the front touring bag.

PS - when swapping the rear sprocket did you have to change the chain or does the bike's normal tensioning system on the 5 speed accommodate the extra sprocket?

Last edited:

Brommyboy

Über Member
The bag is 59 litres, anything smaller is too narrow! The top bungee goes through the saddle rails and around the post, two ends sticking out: pulling on these (while lifting the bag on to the rack) holds the bike upright. The second bungee is threaded through this one, and the ends are attached to the rack in front of the rack pegs, so they do not slide backwards. This is perfectly stable unless the bike is laid down on its side. I have travelled thousands of miles with this system.

Many thanks for the reply brommyboy. Am afraid that being a bit thick i don't entirely understand your description but appreciate that it is hard to describe. Don't trouble yourself any more as I am sure that if I can get that size of bag i can figure it out.

If you could reply to my ps above that would be handy.

All the best and merry christmas anyway.

Top Bottom