1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dakota ahoy!

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Arch, 14 Sep 2007.

1. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Skived off with a mate yesterday to the Elvington Air Museum, where they were having a series of events to fit in with the Festival of Science. We intended to hear the talk about the Halifax bomber, but that was cancelled, so instead we had a look round a Dakota...

Amazing - the one we were in had 54 years flying service. Taking a quick look in the cockpit, we couldn't help thinking, how hard would it be...

S7000298.jpg

I mean, I understand what most of the dials mean... And Simon has a half hour lesson in a Tiger Moth under his belt...:smile:

Apparently, they are amazingly sturdy and forgiving - there is a story of one where the crew bailed when the fuel ran out, and the Dakota obligingly landed itself in a field...

Even better though, I spotted this ad in a facsimile newspaper:

S7000311.jpg

I always knew I was right about chocolate counting as a vegetable...:ohmy:

We also heard a talk on Barnes Wallis - there's an amazing man!

2. Unkraut

Unkraut Master of the Inane Comment

Which control sets off the windscreen wipers?

3. NickM

NickM Über Member

I dunno... quite a lot of knobs there - what happens if you pull the wrong one?

4. ChrisKH

ChrisKH Shorts Adjustment Expert

Having a mad pilot for a brother, I once participated in a (real) flight simulator session for a big plane; 737 or the like, It is really hard to coordinate hand, feet and eyes on dials if you're not used to it. Great fun though.

5. Arch

Actually, I don't remember seeing any....

Trivia: There are half a million rivets in a Dakota: laid end to end, they'd stretch 3 miles.

Also, anyone know what they made the gas bags inside the R100/R101 of, in order to be gas-tight? (Without looking it up...)

6. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Sheep intestines ?

7. Unkraut

Unkraut Master of the Inane Comment

17 million turkey bags. Laid end to end, they would stretch from Dover to Berwick-upon-Tweed.

You can tell it's getting towards home time and the weekend ....

8. NickM

NickM Über Member

So if you can play the organ you'll be all right?

I can just see the air hostess announcing "Ladies and Gentlemen, our pilot and co-pilot have coincidentally both dropped dead. Is there a pilot on the plane? No? Anybody played a Wurlitzer, then?"

9. NickM

NickM Über Member

Rubber?

10. Arch

Cow actually... Well done, a prize of virtual cake to you!

NickM: what's the worst that can happen? Oh...

Apparently these things have survived mid air collisions and limped home ok. They're like the battered old Transits of the air...

11. Elmer Fudd

Yum! Yum! Thankyou. I didn't look it up, I was taught it at school, but got the animal wrong !! :smile:
    (School was a long, long time ago)

12. Arch

I guess sheep would do, you'd just need a lot more!

13. trustysteed

trustysteed Guest

How hard could it be? Roger Moore landed one with a bullet in his leg in The Wild Geese, so not that hard really!

14. asterix

asterix Comrade Member

So you were learning about cutting-edge technology at the time?:smile:

15. Elmer Fudd

I thankyou !!! I am an ole scrote, but not quite that old pal !!! :ohmy:.

Just remembered, sheeps intestines were cut up and used as a certain re-usable anti-procreation device.