Damage or poor quality?

Damaged or Poor quality?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rich1889

What do you experts think?
Does it need replacing?
imagejpg1.jpg
a>

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Can not see the picture.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
To me that looks like something nasty is happening to the carcass of the tyre. I wouldn't ride it. New one ASAP! :thumbsup:

What's the story behind this? How old? How many miles? (Looks like it's done a fair few) The manufacturer might be interested in investigating the defect if it's not very old.

Edit: Hi and :welcome: to the site by the way.

Last edited:

e-rider

crappy member
this is damaged, probably as a result of being poor quality! Check the wheel rim. If the wheel rim looks fine, just get the tyre changed ASAP. Don't ride it like that, esp not fast down hill.

OP
OP
R

Rich1889

It's a second hand bike but think I've put more miles on it in the last week than the previous owner.
It's a halfords cheapo special bike but suits me for a starter. Looks like the bike was bought like this?
Regret hitting 50mph on it now :S

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's a second hand bike but think I've put more miles on it in the last week than the previous owner.
It's a halfords cheapo special bike but suits me for a starter. Looks like the bike was bought like this?
:ohmy: Would have been very nasty if that had blown out at 50mph.

Well, you won't get anywhere warranty-wise if it's second hand so just replace it with something from a decent make (Schwalbe, Continental, Michelin etc) before you ride it again.

e-rider

crappy member
I suspect your cycle computer needs calibrating if it said 50mph! A crash at that speed could (would) certainly kill you. A few more pics would be nice to see the side of the tyre and the wheel rim in this location too.

U

User6179

I had a tyre go exactly the same way - I noticed mid-ride and limped home on it. On inspection, it turned out that it was breaking apart from the inside!

Take your tyre off and look inside and I bet you will see the same thing. Take a photo of the inside of the tyre to show us (I forgot to do it with mine) - THEN BIN IT!

Had 2 tyres this year go the same way , both Mavic Aksions , like you say the damage is in the carcass and can only be seen from inside .

OP
OP
R

Rich1889

I suspect your cycle computer needs calibrating if it said 50mph! A crash at that speed could (would) certainly kill you. A few more pics would be nice to see the side of the tyre and the wheel rim in this location too.

Only purchased a computer today. Speed was reordered on the iPhone :smile:.

I'll replace it.

Thanks guys

is it a branded tyre? if it is, it may be worth emailing the manufacturer/distributer with images to let them know of the (supposed) fault.

you never know, if they want it back to have a look at, they may replace it as a customer care exercise.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
It certainly looks like the tyre.... but I'd also check the inner tube too. I once had a bulge on a tyre caused by a bad inner tube (not as bad as that though). Once I replaced the inner tube, it was fine.

Top Bottom