Damage to rim?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Okay, must have hit something as there was a rip down the side of one of my tyres, now replaced. Or, possibly could be plastic tyre levers but I doubt it...

Either way, is this cosmetic and nothing to worry about or is the rim damaged?

Attachments

• Photo0088.jpg
    Photo0088.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 54
  • Photo0087.jpg
    Photo0087.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 51
I would say cosmetic as the braking surface is clear and flat. The only question is whether the damaged rim retains the tyre bead as well but you can test that by pumping it up to 50% over pressure and if it doesn't come off, its fine (ignore the max pressure on the tyre for this test)

You've not done it with tyre levers, unless your the Hulk :tongue:

If the wheels true and wobble free don't worry about it. I smacked a sunken grid a few years ago with a DT Swiss R1900 rim, and managed to dent the braking surface, got it back something like with some careful 'toolage' but it was never visually perfect again, but it rode just fine :thumbsup:

Tynan

Veteran
Looks fine to me, if it's doesn't affect braking and the tyre is properly seated, all good seems to me

Ive got a few bits like that on my rims (actually a bit more), it seems to purely cosmetic and nothing to worry about. Somebody said you can polish them out but I preferred not to take a file to my rims; if there are any sharp bits you want to file them down.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Nice one folks, yep did 45 miles on them today at 110 psi with no problems regarding seating. No sharp bits, just a bit pissed off that I only noticed it after changing from summer tyres to autumnal ones today, leading me to think that perhaps I could have been the 'hulk' smokeysmoo! Point taken though, don't think that's the cause but more than likely something similar to the scenario you describe.

Thanks people.

D

Deleted member 1258

Have you noticed a bit of lumpiness in the braking at any time? Many years ago on an old bike I put a slight ding in the rim and didn't repair it, the braking was a bit lumpy at first, but as the rim wore it smoothed out, and I was left with damage like you have.

Top Bottom