Damaged auction lot, worth a £5 punt?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The main issue seems to be a bent seat stay between the brake bridge and the drop-out. The photo shows a bend about as obvious as the curve on a modern stay to accommodate a 10 speed cassettte.
The seller assures me that there are no cracks in the frame and that the threads are good, this would have been a classic steel bike before it's crunch.
The questions in the title, surely something can be done to get this gem back on the road. Any suggestions, ideas or thoughts would be much appreciated. Otherwise I fear this one will go for penny's as scrap.

OP
OP
Ed no-more-lemons
Carlton stay   two.JPG

young Ed

Veteran
cold setting etc is possible and as it is steel a mallet and some force could potentially be used but to be fair i reckon it would be very hard to get it running dead straight and perfect so £5 isn't much but you will be putting in a lot of time which may end up wasted
Cheers Ed

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I straightened up an old steel frame with a bend like that with a rubber mallet a few years ago. It ran ok. For a hack bike for a fiver could be worth a gamble, but from pics only it is difficult to make your own assessment of the extent of the damage.

Top Bottom