damned gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Right, slipping gears are fun.

So far, New chain rings, New jockey wheels, cassette and chain less than 100 miles, New cables (although they are Clarks Teflon coated jobbies so could be them) and although it is shifting nicely now it won't stay on the 28t rear cog. I've loosened the h and l screws to just stopping it from burying the derallier in the rear wheel , cleaned everything down, small dab of oil on all moving parts and indexed the gears. Still no joy. Mech and shifters are 2300 spec and I'll try and get a video of it shortly

I'm going to take the rear mech off and give it a proper bath and lube but failing that what else could cause it?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Bent gear hanger? possibly.

OP
OP
Kiwiavenger

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
B screw is at max, chain was shortened to same as what came off and cassette was a direct replacement. Might check out the hanger later. Could it be that my old jockey wheels had more play than these new ones? I have fitted them the right way round, I checked lol

OP
OP
Kiwiavenger

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
I believe I have it sussed now.

If replacing the jockey wheels either replace them one at a time, or check which screw goes where. I have 1 screw that is about 1 mm longer that I put in the upper wheel meaning it was catching in the spokes causing me to adjust the limit screw which caused my issues (I hope)

Mondays long commute will tell though, I need to add 5 miles on to avoid 4 sets of roadworks

Globalti

Legendary Member
You can't check by looking, you need to get it checked at a bike shop that has an alignment gauge.

screenman

Legendary Member
Echo what G says.

screenman

Legendary Member
One of the best tools I own is the mech alignment one, so far I have checked 20 + bikes not one rear mech hanger did not require adjusting.

Top Bottom