damnn gravel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
is it just northamptonshire that have the brainwave of putting granite chippings all over the road on a friday and leave them there till monday to sweep up so when you go for a weekend ride you have to contend with trying to ride a road similar to brighton beach - or do other counties do it as well . earls barton nearly caught me out this week and brixworth the week before - wonder where next week

ushills

Veteran
Yep, done all the residential roads by me that were previously smooth tarmac.

Youngest cut his elbow apart at weekend and we were close to having it stitched.

Top dressing is hardly a way of saving money: after what is usually a fairly short period of time (usually less than a year if the road is anoything like remotely busy) the surface has worn smooth again in the commonly-used wheeltracks. I have no expert knowledge of costings, but I'd be interested to see on what grounds Highways Departments of councils justify spending a wodge of cash on such a useless method of resurfacing a road. When you then factor in the nuisance of the job and the danger caused to us and others, it is simply daft. To me, top dressing continues because 'we have always done it' rather than having the practice analysed.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Top dressing is hardly a way of saving money: after what is usually a fairly short period of time (usually less than a year if the road is anoything like remotely busy) the surface has worn smooth again in the commonly-used wheeltracks. I have no expert knowledge of costings, but I'd be interested to see on what grounds Highways Departments of councils justify spending a wodge of cash on such a useless method of resurfacing a road. When you then factor in the nuisance of the job and the danger caused to us and others, it is simply daft. To me, top dressing continues because 'we have always done it' rather than having the practice analysed.

They put a top layer on (somewhat badly from the point of view of surface lumpiness I'm afraid) of two long stretches of dual carriageway I use all the time. Unfortunately this strategy although probably intended as such didn't hold up as well against one of the last two (harsh winters) and massive holes (upto 20ft) appeared in a section. They then had to resurface a 200m metre section. So cycling along now it is lumpy top surface, gorgeous deep perfectly smooth black tarmac for a bit and then lumpy grindy top surface (not as bad as it once was).

Raging Squirrel

i put it down to budget spending to make sure they get the same amount next year. The area I live in recently had about 6 inches of turf dug out from the curb, for no apparent reason what so ever

snorri

Legendary Member
is it just northamptonshire that have the brainwave of putting granite chippings all over the road on a friday and leave them there till monday to sweep up
The trick is to leave it until late Sunday night by which time the excess is lying in a long heap at the side of the road. Then out with your shovel and fill your panniers, before the Council gets there on Monday.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
berty bassett

berty bassett

Legendary Member
after i have done that - have i got to get home and glue them back together - go back to the road , place them strategically along the road , come home , get dressed in high viz , get a clip board and go back again , wait for the workers and fine any of them who's eyebrows go more than 2" above their eyes - seems like a lot of hassle for a sunday really ^_^

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Brixworth one week, Earls Barton the next. Are you bagging saxon churches, berty bassett? On the hypothesis that Northants council may be working on the same basis, I'd avoid Brigstock this week!

Top Bottom