Damp/Wet weather clothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doug.

Veteran
Hello.
Re. above I am going to try to cycle through the winter.
Have plentiful supplies of cold weather gear but lack any wet/damp road cycle clothing.
The bike I ride has no provision to fit mudguards nor do I wish to fit them.
Something along the lines of over type trousers or possibly water resistant leggings.
Is such a product made ...oh yes,at a reasonable price ?
Not bothered about my top half the cycle windcheater I use is reasonably water resistant.
Shall be most grateful for any advise and recommendation of a good suppler.
Thank you
Doug.

snorri

Legendary Member
Not enough information.;)
What sort of distances do you intend covering, and what sort of weather are you likely to encounter?
My winter cycling would be severely curtailed if I had no mudguards and my top half was only protected by a "windcheater that was reasonably water resistant."

User269

I use the same technique for my legs as you use for your top half. I gave up long ago trying to 'waterproof' myself; it never works, and even breathable technical fibres struggle to cope with persipiration and heat produced by the rider.

Good quality, windproof clothing that's also water resistant can keep you comfy even if you're soaking wet. It's a bit like the way a wetsuit works. In fact my favourite wet & cold weather gloves were my diving gloves; my hands were wet but warm (for a while). If it's above 10c or so, I find wearing shorts and oiling my legs is comfortable.

Having said that, I never knowingly set off for a ride in wet weather!

oldroadman

Veteran
I use the same technique for my legs as you use for your top half. I gave up long ago trying to 'waterproof' myself; it never works, and even breathable technical fibres struggle to cope with persipiration and heat produced by the rider.

Good quality, windproof clothing that's also water resistant can keep you comfy even if you're soaking wet. It's a bit like the way a wetsuit works. In fact my favourite wet & cold weather gloves were my diving gloves; my hands were wet but warm (for a while). If it's above 10c or so, I find wearing shorts and oiling my legs is comfortable.

Having said that, I never knowingly set off for a ride in wet weather!

Lucky you still have good knees then, if that's what's been going on for many years!
Through a race career, never rode with shorts if it was below 20c, even races needed legwarmers. Now I'm ancient, but have excellent knee joints still.

User269

Lucky you still have good knees then, if that's what's been going on for many years!
Through a race career, never rode with shorts if it was below 20c, even races needed legwarmers. Now I'm ancient, but have excellent knee joints still.

It's magic oil dontcha know! :rolleyes:

Tynan

Veteran
the routine advice is to keep your core warm and the rest will follow

bib longs and overshoes and layer up to suit does me in any weather I've ever seen, wet is ok as long as you stay warm, a buff makes a huge difference considering it's cost/weight

Fiona N

Veteran
Through a race career, never rode with shorts if it was below 20c, even races needed legwarmers.

Yes it has to be hot and sunny before I don shorts but 3/4 knicks are good if it's mild but damp/wet.

Then I have 3/4 sub-roubaix (tight, wind-resistant outer layer but not so much fleecy inside) knicks when it gets colder but it's not actually raining.

If it might rain (I also try to avoid setting out in rain) or the roads are really wet, I find full-length tights fit over my winter boots or overshoes so don't channel the water into the shoes/feet. This is what I use for most of the winter. On sunny, dry but cold days, I usually get a bit of skin out with the 3/4 knicks.

OP
OP
D

Doug.

Veteran
Thank you all very much for the replies.
I have good quality cycling tights,that probably have some damp resistance,so shall give them a try.
Keeping the "core" warm,makes sense.
All best wishes
Doug.

Eurygnomes

a buff makes a huge difference considering it's cost/weight

OMG (forgive me): I just purchased one of these. I no longer have headaches after short cold rides (it's up over my ears*), and my neck is warmer than I think it's ever been. It's so so so so so so so so worth it's weight in gold. No, scratch that, it weighs next to nothing. It's worth 1000 X it's weight in gold.

*one small drawback: I was asked whether I was Thelma or Louise...

Top Bottom