Dandy under the cosh!

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by vernon, 14 Aug 2012.

1. vernon

vernon Harder than Ronnie Pickering

Just heard on Radio Four that the Dandy is threatened with closure. It used to see 2,000,000 copies at its peak and now is only selling 8,000 per week.

Sad times. :sad:

2. asterix

asterix Comrade Member

Desperate times..

But it may go digital:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/u...omic-is-set-to-be-closed-by-publisher-1260182

3. accountantpete

accountantpete Legendary Member

Dan must have met Speicher

lrgscaledesperate-dan-mug.jpg

Mad Doug Biker and User14044 like this.
  4. byegad

byegad Legendary Member

Cripes!

5. Archie_tect

Archie_tect De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold

End of an era, we are the Beano and Dandy kids... scary isn't it?

6. tyred

tyred Legendary Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

They can't stop this essential reading matter for grown ups kids everywhere. Tea break will never be the same again.:cry:

7. Matt1705

Matt1705 Senior Member

Look at the price of them now though, I've got a collection of beano comics from the mid 90's when they were 35p.

8. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

7/- :ohmy: Surely not?

:biggrin:

9. Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture Internet Marketing bod

Shame, I preferred the Dandy to the Beano when I was a kid, but I always was a contrary numpty.

10. Davidc

Davidc Guru

My mum wouldn't let me have comics. :sad:

My mate's mum knew that and kept all of his and his brother's old Beano's and Dandy's for me to read when I went round. ^_^

It was always the Dandy I read first.

It's sad that the era of the children's comic is coming to an end, but life and popular culture move on, and there's not much we can do about it.

11. Maz

Maz Legendary Member

I used to have a massive stash of Krazy comics. When they 'merged' with Whizzer & Chips, I stopped buying it.

12. Archie_tect

Archie_tect De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold

I only got the Christmas Annuals when I was little. Still got the Blue Peter one with John Noakes and Valerie Singleton on the front.... sadly missing it's spine and drawn all over so not an heirloom!

13. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

In a family of 3 children. It was Whizzer & Chips for me, Dandy for older brother and Beano for younger brother.

I'm not suprised that it's closing. Magazines are now almost irrelevant what with the electrical intraweb taking over everything.

14. martint235

martint235 Dog on a bike

I think this probably has a lot to do with it. I think they now cost £1.50 or something, I used to pay 10p for my Beano when I was a kid. What self respecting kid is going to pay £1.50 on a comic when you can get two cans of Carlsberg for that.

15. ColinJ

ColinJ It's a puzzle ...

I used to buy both, along with Valiant and a few others whose names now escape me.

Ha - they were 3d when I bought them! (1.25p!)

BrianEvesham likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice