Dangerous driver convicted based on cyclist's headcam footage.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I've maybe misunderstood, but it looks to me as the real punishment is for trying to wriggle out it rather than anything related to the incident.

Also, this is the kind of manoeuvre that I see regularly, not every day but failing to keep left at a keep left traffic island is my most common observation next to speeding.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've maybe misunderstood, but it looks to me as the real punishment is for trying to wriggle out it rather than anything related to the incident.

Also, this is the kind of manoeuvre that I see regularly, not every day but failing to keep left at a keep left traffic island is my most common observation next to speeding.

That maneuver is common round here as well.

T4tomo

Guru
I'd rather they go the wrong way around a traffic island, than try to squeeze through past me to be honest

Reactions: C R

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'd rather they go the wrong way around a traffic island, than try to squeeze through past me to be honest
I did think it was funny how the article made an issue of the driver being on the wrong side of the road when that's exactly where they should be when passing a cyclist.

Keep left bollard notwithstanding...

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
So the cyclist called that in to report a traffic offence, not actual danger to themselves. The driver then did the most stupid thing he could have done and was sent down for that much more serious offence.

Not sure if I was the cyclist I'd have done the former.

Drago

Legendary Member
Leaving aside the pervert the course of justice bit, the excitement around charging would be for going the wrong way past a traffic island with a keep left bollard, which almost inevitably results in a dangerous charge, although less rarely prison time.

He got no punishment for - deliberately as far as I can see - close passing and endangering the cyclist.

Lets just hope the friend he tried to stitch up us a nasty sort with a long memory.

Cirrus

Veteran
He'll probably be out in three months and I doubt his short stretch will have had any rehabilitating effects, when he gets his license back (if he's banned and he actually waits that long to drive) he'll also likely have a grudge against cyclists in general.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I don't think he close passed or endangered the cyclist. He came up at speed, realised he couldn't do the squeeze through on the LHS and 'baled out', as it were. His car is well onto the hatchings in the middle of the road when he is passing, and moving ever further away to go to the RHS of the Keep Left bollard

D

Deleted member 1258

I don't think he close passed or endangered the cyclist. He came up at speed, realised he couldn't do the squeeze through on the LHS and 'baled out', as it were. His car is well onto the hatchings in the middle of the road when he is passing, and moving ever further away to go to the RHS of the Keep Left bollard

And if there had been someone coming the other way there he would have had nowhere to go. in similar circumstances here a few years ago there was almost a multiple crash.

Reactions: mjr

classic33

Leg End Member
Maybe the camera footage was handed over as a result of an appeal for dash cam footage, for something else.
Northumbria Police said the 38-year-old cyclist noticed that his rear-view footage showed the car weaving in and out of traffic at high speed, going on the wrong side of the road and narrowly avoiding a collision."

Reads as though the cyclist realised later, not at the time.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
The rear footage shows the worst of the incident - I don't always check mine before making a submission, if the front footage clearly shows the driving which I am unhappy with.

I'm saddened that this whole episode earned him a ban of just a year - which he will probably flout when he gets out of jail anyway.

Daninplymouth

He was blatantly speeding too if you see he was on the wrong side originally overtaking a car before he caught the cyclist.

Top Bottom