Dangerous driver?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
That one legged man laying in the road is lucky he didn't get run over.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's careless rather than dangerous I'd suggest. The driver knows he's passed a cyclist, but doesn't really know (or care) where that cyclist ended up after that pass. He likely can't see shoot on that side of that van. He could wait to turn left, but possibly doesn't get that.

I'm not excusing him by the way, he's culpable, but seriously careless rather than outright dangerous.

D

Deleted member 26715

No doubt taking a sharp left turn looking at his navigation.
Doubt it, unless the rules have changed Tesco's drivers are not allowed to use Sat Nav's
I believe it to be beyond careless and into dangerous. The driver knows the cyclist is there and deliberately takes a wide line into the turn in the vain hope of missing him. If was a deliberate move, recklessly attempted, seriously misjudged.
I don't think he's taking a wide turn, I think he he sees he's just about to miss his turn & turns, bad driving

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
If I right this is the same case
The driver refused to say who was driving so could not be charged for the incident.
Only for failing to nominate driver so no ban just fine and points.
Which leaves you with the question the driver knowing he was at fault. Tesco owned up and paid out.
https://road.cc/content/news/271023...-delivery-driver-knocking-cyclist-bike-london
I don’t understand how it wasn’t possible to identify the driver?
Surely Tesco know who is driving there vans. The man seen getting out of the van is clearly a passenger not a driver, so the other person must be the driver.

Drago

Legendary Member
Identification in Court has to be a formal process with complete continuity. Had the driver been arrested there would have been the opportunity to do a VIPER capture, and then arrange a viewing for the victims and witnesses, essentially a modern take on the ID parade.

Without some kind of formal and credible identification of the suspect you're generally stuffed. There are stated cases on the matter where the court is entitled to make their own judgement on identification based upon the evidence before them, but they almost never do because defence lawyers don't like it, and we can't upset them now, can we?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Rightly or wrongly, it would have been viewed as careless - a momentary lapse, not a prolonged period of inattention or driving 'far below' the standard of a competent driver.

That is punishable with a fine and/or ban.

But this 'driver' is not as clever as he thinks he is.

Failing to nominate is a criminal offence of dishonesty, which is viewed far more seriously in the outside world than careless driving.

Most insurers will now decline to quote for a driver with such a conviction, so the long term impact of the conviction is greater than the simple fine and points he would probably have got for careless.

He may also find the dishonesty nature of the conviction bars him from getting some jobs, even if they don't involve driving.

Kryton521

Über Member
Hopefully Tesco are now advertising for a new driver and the tosser that was driving hasn't a job.
Disgusting of Tesco not to do more to see the "driver" thrown under the bus.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
That is dangerous in my opinion.

He drives past the cyclist and any clear thinking person would slow down and let the cyclist past.

There was no way this driver was going to let the cyclist past.

In Denmark it would be a ban and and a retest.

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
A driver like this working for tesco could undermine tesco more than any good the millions they spend on advertising? Tesco prices may not cripple you but there drivers might? Or look what happens if you dont carry a tesco clubcard?

Top Bottom