Dangerous driver?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We have these cycle lanes all over Denmark. As a driver the colour makes the cycle lane blindingly obvious. I always feel safer on a cycle lane than on the road. If this driver did not see this cyclist, he needs a guide dog and white stick.
:laugh: Have you never been left-hooked on a plain and simple road? They overtake you, then turn left anyway. At least a cycle lane can reduce the risk of a close pass first, if it's wide enough, especially with shoot for negligent drivers like Lane Departure Assist now. And I would hope the different colour would raise an alarm bell in a driver's mind that they're crossing something that's not just black tarmac road, but it's not going to work every time because crap drivers are crap drivers and should have their licence sanctioned.

My experience suggests to me (anecdote it may be) that if I'm in a cycle lane drivers happily pass me with inches to spare, because they are in their own lane. If there's no cycle lane a much higher proportion of drivers pass properly. In addition, the existence of the lane makes it harder to pull out into the road proper to "control" those behind - they then get extra cross and beep - if the lane weren't there you'd be part of the traffic, and changing road position is considered more acceptable by drivers. Your experience may vary, but that's how I see it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
the existence of the lane makes it harder to pull out into the road proper to "control" those behind - they then get extra cross and beep - if the lane weren't there you'd be part of the traffic, and changing road position is considered more acceptable by drivers. Your experience may vary, but that's how I see it.
Yeah, I find haters hate and beepers beep any time you move into control/primary position, even when there's no lane. I'd agree that cycle lanes should be >2m or not bother and drop the speed limit.

icowden

Veteran
I agree with @Profpointy. There is something about "i am in my lane, you should be in your lane" and "if you have a lane, it must be wide enough for you and I don't have to worry about you". The fact that the lane is designated gives a feeling of ownership of that lane. "This lane is for my car, that lane is for your bike". The oddness in this particular case is that the driver is so focused on where they have to deliver to that they seemingly forget that the cycle lane exists at all, or that there are cyclists in it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I agree with @Profpointy. There is something about "i am in my lane, you should be in your lane" and "if you have a lane, it must be wide enough for you and I don't have to worry about you". The fact that the lane is designated gives a feeling of ownership of that lane. "This lane is for my car, that lane is for your bike". The oddness in this particular case is that the driver is so focused on where they have to deliver to that they seemingly forget that the cycle lane exists at all, or that there are cyclists in it.
If they were focused on where they have to deliver, it wouldn't look like they almost missed their turning! It seems more likely they were focused on a newspaper or electronic device.

DRM

Guru
There’s a cycle lane that goes from Hunslet to Belle Isle in Leeds, some bright spark decided that this particular stretch of road needed speed bumps too, the cushion type where you straddle them with your car wheels, and then installed them with the left side of the bump about 3” away from the right hand side of the cycle lane, so that it forces vehicles to the left and closer to any poor sod who’s riding a bike, bad enough with a car, lethal with a bus or lorry.

icowden

Veteran
If they were focused on where they have to deliver, it wouldn't look like they almost missed their turning! It seems more likely they were focused on a newspaper or electronic device.

I'd suggest that they were focused on a Satnav. If you don't know where you are going, it's quite easy to mistake a turn, and try to get to it last minute.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I think a lot of it is drivers don't realise how fast a bike may be travelling, a lot expect them to be doing not much more than walking pace so once they've overtaken them they think they're past not realising the bike could be at some speed and they haven't really got by it yet.

No excuse but I'm sure that's their mindset. :cursing:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I think a lot of it is drivers don't realise how fast a bike may be travelling, a lot expect them to be doing not much more than walking pace so once they've overtaken them they think they're past not realising the bike could be at some speed and they haven't really got by it yet.

No excuse but I'm sure that's their mindset. :cursing:

That's true as well. I still get the jitters remembering the guy towing a trailer with a digger on it who pulled in whilst it was still beside me !

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Were I the rider in the video I would have stop pedalling/dabbed the brakes to get the Tesco van well in front.

I've done that a few times, particularly with bigger vehicles.

Shouldn't have to, but keeping pace in a vehicle's nearside blind spot is not a good idea.

Top Bottom