Dard blast it!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Caught the front bumper of a car with my rear wheel arch this morning when parking. At first I thought I'd clipped the mirror and got out and could not see anything on my car but some scrapes on the other which I wasn't convinced were me. Anyway when I came back to the car I spotted white paint inside the rear wheel arch and realised it was me and left a note.

Now I'm waiting for the call, wondering if I'm going to get an angry, upset or reasonable person on the other end.

I'm hoping my good kharma will pay off from the day someone did that to me in my car and I rang them and said it was fine or the day a heavily pregnant stressed woman reversed straight into me and after we'd exchanged details, I got home kicked the dent out and threw the piece of paper away.

Such is life eh.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I once had a nightmare 10 minutes a little bit like your story... a morning during school hols, wife and kids #1 and #2 out, me at home with kid #3 (aged 11)... car parked outside, but you can't park there at certain times (this being one of them)... neighbour tells me traffic warden is on his way up the road... I think 'OK, kid is upstairs, happily playing, there's a spot where you can park just up the road... it's a 2 minute job... nip out (not telling kid) and go to re-park the car. Someone nabs the spare spot just before me, I drive on for 100 yards, find another spot, but in my haste I scrape wing mirror down side of someone's car, destroying my mirror and scraping the other car quite badly... witnesses etc (but I'm an honest chap anyway...) fella comes out of house, car is his son's... I leave name, address, telephone number, park car and hurry home to kid... kid frantic cos our dog fighting in garden with next door's dog, me feeling "Christ, I've not only left my kid frantic, but I've probably cost myself a bomb to fix my mirror/insurance on other car, no claims etc etc..."...
anyways, sorted dogs out, made kid happy and waited for the call... the fella was (thankfully) really nice about it, thanked me for being honest enough to leave my details, and said it was a hire car, and he'd see what they said... I never heard anything more! (phew!) (and I botched my mirror together till I sold the car) :ohmy:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

You've reminded me now. In 30 years of driving I've never had a moving traffic accident or any kind of endorsement in a car but I do have an occasional propensity to clip things which aren't moving. By far the worst was when I was doing some baby portraits at a house (long time ago this, as I haven't raised a camera in anger in years) and my camera jammed. Quick as a flash I rang a mate and arranged to nip round for his Mamiya. Leapt in the car, reversed it beautifully out of a tight space and down the cul de sac to the turning where I came to a sudden halt as I reversed into a parked car that wasn't there when I came in. The worst of it was she'd just got it back from being repaired for a similar incident. I was still in a sweat to get the camera and get back to baby before nap time and grouchy face expressions. That job ended up costing me.

ANyway the driver rang. An old lady who'd been getting her hair done. I have to wait for the son to ring at the weekend now. :ohmy:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Crackle said:
Caught the front bumper of a car with my rear wheel arch this morning when parking. At first I thought I'd clipped the mirror and got out and could not see anything on my car but some scrapes on the other which I wasn't convinced were me. Anyway when I came back to the car I spotted white paint inside the rear wheel arch and realised it was me and left a note.

Now I'm waiting for the call, wondering if I'm going to get an angry, upset or reasonable person on the other end.

I'm hoping my good kharma will pay off from the day someone did that to me in my car and I rang them and said it was fine or the day a heavily pregnant stressed woman reversed straight into me and after we'd exchanged details, I got home kicked the dent out and threw the piece of paper away.

Such is life eh.

You bastard!

I've just had an estimate and you did two grands worth of damage. As it's you I'll settle for £1500 cash, pm your details and we'll sort out payment.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Well my good Karma has paid off. The lady rang to say she wasn't bothered as it was only a small scratch. I offered again to pay and help her sort the damage out as I think the business of taking the car in was putting her off but she was insistent. I'm still left feeling guilty about it though. She said, oh no, it's only the size of a 50p. I think the next time she goes to the hairdressers she should go and see the optician too as it was definitely two parallel scratches about 6 inches long.

Top Bottom