Dare to be different? audax then..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kennykool

Wow - i've just entered my first Audax starting in Forfar on 31st August and reading this thread has scared me about it slightly. My first race was the Etape Caledonia - a Sportive - with sign posts and back up cars etc.

I have the route map already as I've printed it off but I must admit right here right now......I wish I was riding a sportive again xx(

Noodley

kennykool said:
I have the route map already as I've printed it off but I must admit right here right now......I wish I was riding a sportive again :smile:

I'll be there and can point out, depending on your speed, who to ride with. I know who the fast, medium, and slow riders are so you'll be okay.

It's an easy route to follow. Honest.
(goes to find the route sheet to make sure :thumbsup:)

ian_oli

Über Member
I remember from when I did my first couple of Audaxes it was sometime quite difficult to trace the route on an OS map as the maps dont tell you what road has priority and that worried me. In fact, on the ground you may spend miles on a minor road that has several junctions with just the one route sheet instruction, but unless you get a specific left/right instruction you can just use give way lines to follow the main road.

Other tip is use your computer and remember the distance at a turn. It is really helpful to know whether the next turn is in 6km or 8km - if its 8km, you know you neednt bother to start looking until 7.8km has passed.

Noodley

Noodley said:
(goes to find the route sheet to make sure :thumbsup:)

Yep, that's straightforward. Forfar to Coupar Angus to Dunkeld is main roads. Then cycle path next to A9 to Pitlochry. The boat house is well signed and although it may sound a bit complicated having to dismount and walk across the bridge it is easy to follow. Then there is not much to go wrong as the choice of roads is minimal i.e there is only one! And on the way back from Pitlochry just follow the signs from Kirkmichael to Blacklunans and Glenisla. The final proper route goes past my house if you want to drop in for a coffee :smile: but you could also just head down the main road into Forfar and take a right turn just before Tesco and back to the scout hut.

It might look a bit difficult reading it on a sheet but on the road it is easy.

kennykool

Cheers Noodley

Looking forward to meeting you. I averaged 28 Kmh for the Etape in May so hopefully I'm somewhere in the middle - speed wise

Noodley

kennykool said:
Cheers Noodley

Looking forward to meeting you. I averaged 28 Kmh for the Etape in May so hopefully I'm somewhere in the middle - speed wise

Er, nope. You'll be out with the fast lads. Max average speed is 30kph (which includes stops). But you should keep up with the fast lads no problem.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Well I've broken my Audax duck now.

It was good. Wish I'd had more food at the cafe stop tho'. I was dead hungry on the way back home from the finish. Attempted to stop at a service station for a snack but there was a big queue of drivers panic-buying petrol.

I knew I was onto something at the start. It wasn't like at a TT or a sportive. There was more evidence of leg hair. Two riders were smoking.

I'll certainly be doing another soon.

And I got to meet Redfox (thanks for the tow back from the cafe stop)

redfox

I wasn't aware I was towing you, my (distinct lack of) climbing prowess doesn't allow me consider such a thing a possibility.

Sorry for the unindented excursion :wacko:, did it get you to 100 miles by the time you got home?

Glad you enjoyed it, shame the cafe was closed at the finish.

Tynan

Veteran
smart website redfox

my eyes boggled at the line showing a N/S ride through Scandinavia, dear god

Top Bottom