Dartford Crossing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

Yep, and the fine will get sent here with a mark-up to cover the additional costs.

Think I'll drive round clockwise instead of anticlockwise, can't be bothered with the faff of giving my credit card details to a stranger on the internet.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Does it? A barrister recently assured me that this couldn't happen in relation to the London congestion charge because the UK doesn't take part in the relevant European data exchange mechanism. I'd have assumed the same would apply to automatic tolls.

OP
OP
Haitch

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Does it? A barrister recently assured me that this couldn't happen in relation to the London congestion charge because the UK doesn't take part in the relevant European data exchange mechanism. I'd have assumed the same would apply to automatic tolls.

I read last year that data exchange had been harmonised and fines would be passed on. Got a speeding ticket in Germany (!) last autumn and the fine was increased with costs. Anyway, how did you get those straight and smart quotation marks?

EDIT:
Would this cover the Dartford Tunnel or congestion charge? And the same page suggest that the fines are not increased.
"... due to the ECJ ruling, Denmark, Ireland and UK will now be affected by the change in legal basis as the Directive will now also be extended to them."

Eight major road safety related offences are included in the text of the EU Directive:
  • Speeding;
  • Not using a seatbelt;
  • Not stopping at a red traffic light or other mandatory stop signal;
  • Drink driving;
  • Driving under the influence of drugs;
  • Not wearing a safety helmet (for motorcyclists);
  • Using a forbidden lane (such as the forbidden use of an emergency lane, a lane reserved for public transport, or a lane closed down for road works);
  • Illegally using a mobile phone, or any other communications device, while driving.
The Directive will be most effective in following up offences which can be detected automatically, such as speeding and running red lights.

Last edited:
U

User169

I read last year that data exchange had been harmonised and fines would be passed on. Got a speeding ticket in Germany (!) last autumn and the fine was increased with costs. Anyway, how did you get those straight and smart quotation marks?

Accordingly to said barrister, the UK didn't sign up (this was what he told me in December 2014)

(No idea on the quotes - must be to do with the cutting and pasting!)

siadwell

Guru

I copped a fine in Italy a few years ago for driving into a restricted zone (accidentally). It certainly made its way here, although it did take nearly a year. I read somewhere that Italian legislation gives them up to a year to pass on the fine, but the Germans only get a couple of months.

brodiej

Veteran
Yep, and the fine will get sent here with a mark-up to cover the additional costs.

Think I'll drive round clockwise instead of anticlockwise, can't be bothered with the faff of giving my credit card details to a stranger on the internet.

It may be worth looking at Payzone if you want to pay cash

I found after paying by credit card that I could have paid in cash at my local corner shop the next day.
If you're staying in the UK it may be easier to find the nearest payzone outlet rather than drive the "wrong way" around the M25.

http://www.payzone.co.uk/Store-Locator

Depends where you are going of course!

U

User169

EDIT:
Would this cover the Dartford Tunnel or congestion charge? And the same page suggest that the fines are not increased.
"... due to the ECJ ruling, Denmark, Ireland and UK will now be affected by the change in legal basis as the Directive will now also be extended to them."

Eight major road safety related offences are included in the text of the EU Directive:
  • Speeding;
  • Not using a seatbelt;
  • Not stopping at a red traffic light or other mandatory stop signal;
  • Drink driving;
  • Driving under the influence of drugs;
  • Not wearing a safety helmet (for motorcyclists);
  • Using a forbidden lane (such as the forbidden use of an emergency lane, a lane reserved for public transport, or a lane closed down for road works);
  • Illegally using a mobile phone, or any other communications device, while driving.
The Directive will be most effective in following up offences which can be detected automatically, such as speeding and running red lights.

As I read all that, currently UK is out, but will be in when the new version comes in, presumably prior to July 2015. Not clear to me if tolls/congestion charges would fall within the directive since the offences that are in seem to be safety issues.

(I usually go anti-clockwise, although the satnav always tries to take us the other way!)

Where are you going from/to? Blackwall tunnel is a good alternative depending on route and time of day.

OP
OP
Haitch

Haitch

Flim Flormally
As I read all that, currently UK is out, but will be in when the new version comes in, presumably prior to July 2015.
According to the ANWB:
Alleen Griekenland, Ierland, Italië en Kroatië hebben de Europese wet nog niet opgenomen.

Not clear to me if tolls/congestion charges would fall within the directive since the offences that are in seem to be safety issues.
Being in a forbidden lane?

(I usually go anti-clockwise, although the satnav always tries to take us the other way!)
Ha, ha, going north the satnav always says anticlockwise. Going south the satnav still says anticlockwise.

subaqua

What’s the point
No. It's been replaced by online prepayment. All the toll booths have been removed. Though you can drive through, you have up to midnight to pay the charge online.
Midnight the following day according to the big blue sign on the A13 at wennington

subaqua

What’s the point

It isn't accessible by another human if you do it online. Probably more secure than handing it to the waiter at the restaurant and sticking it in a card reader. The encryption is rather secure

Top Bottom