Dartmoor railway line reopened today! (Exeter to Okehampton)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just caught some good news on the BBC news... More than 50 years after the Dartmoor railway line was closed by the Beeching cuts, it has been restored and reopened for regular passenger services between Exeter and Okehampton. [LINK]

I make regular trips to Devon to visit my sister and will be able to use that line to greatly extend my cycling range. Less than £3 return for me with my railcard - yay! :smile:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I heard about that, too. What was the line used after Beeching and before the re-railification?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I just caught some good news on the BBC news... More than 50 years after the Dartmoor railway line was closed by the Beeching cuts, it has been restored and reopened for regular passenger services between Exeter and Okehampton. [LINK]

I make regular trips to Devon to visit my sister and will be able to use that line to greatly extend my cycling range. Less than £3 return for me with my railcard - yay! :smile:

Like you, I look forward to using this to extend the weekend range.

I didn't investigate too far on the website, but I'm hoping they've made lots and lots of bike storage provision..

The station at Okehampton has a very excellent tearoom. :okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I didn't investigate too far on the website, but I'm hoping they've made lots and lots of bike storage provision..
I checked on the National Rail planner and they quoted '2-6' bikes per train, with no reservations needed (or possible?). It sounds like official space for 2 bikes and squeeze more on if needed. The kind of thing I am used to here on Northern trains (which are bike friendly) as opposed to Trans Pennine trains (which are NOT)!

Spartak