Darwinsm At Work!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru

gbb

Legendary Member
The pic with the guys demolishing a building while stood on the bits they're hitting...we saw that regularly in Cape Verde.
We also saw maybe 3 fellas that had amputated legs...

Last edited:

tony111

Veteran
I had seen a couple of them before, but this time I scrolled further down and there was an advert for Royal Carribbean Cruises. Anyway, we are off round the Med, last week in July. Thanks for posting Richard.

D

Deleted member 26715

Apart from the one with the hedge trimmer don't see any issue with the others

The pic with the guys demolishing a building while stood on the bits they're hitting...we saw that regularly in Cape Verde.
We also saw maybe 3 fellas that had amputated legs...

I had to go to Malta, in October 2018, & saw these!!

Qawra (?), I think??

Wooden rails around the balconies

No anchorage, & the height increased by raising it on concrete blocks

I had to go to Malta, in October 2018, & saw these!!

Qawra (?), I think??

Wooden rails around the balconies
View attachment 504744

No anchorage, & the height increased by raising it on concrete blocks
View attachment 504745

I showed those to one of the 'Goth girls' I know who works for a company that supplies 'chery pickers/height access, & offer H&S training
Her response was a mixture of horror & 'woe betide anyone who uses it'

Kryton521

Über Member
Horrible but true: Whilst living working in NZ, a worker was awarded a large payout after losing one, [lucky] of his legs in one of those branch chopper things. He worked for a company that trimmed/felled trees, not forestry.
Anyway, the reason he was awarded a payout was simple. He was trained and repeatedly told, not to put his hands past the red warning line on the feed chute. Well he didn't, he pushed a branch in with his foot and got dragged in.
At no time was he ever told not to put his foot into the machine???

Common sense? Well I guess you have to teach that as well now

D

Deleted member 26715

A blast from the past, but, roughly 1minute 15seconds in, on this clip, building Tyne Bridge, not a single item of "safety equipment" in sight. One fatality during construction, goodness knows how many serious injuries.
Nowt wrong wi that son

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I did NEBOSH H&S several years ago, tutor 'amused' us with pictures like that lot!. One of my faves was some guy in Thailand who'd lashed together a couple of ladders, perched in the back of a Hilux , braked on a steep hill so he could reach the very tall streetlight to change the bulb. If the handbrake failed....:okay:

My other fave was some guy welding who made a face mask from cardboard to protect his face from sparks but cut eye-holes so he could see...welding??. I wonder how his eyesight is these days?.

And the Daily Fail & Brexpress still moan about 'elf 'N' safety????. I hate that 'joke'.

Top Bottom