Date code.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Porsche924

The serial number on my Carlton Stadium is WH700695.(K) .Can anyone tell me the date this bike was made from this? I can find quite a lot of info re Carlton bikes on the net but very little about the Stadium model. Does anyone know anything about this model?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think @Spokesmann should be able to tell you.

Hello and :welcome: to the forum.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Could be 531 in 1977 though.

Really? I'm surprised at that. They're OK bikes, but the ones I've seen don't strike me as high end. I picked up an '80-81 5-speed Stadium as part of a trio of cheapo donors, and that frame is tru-wel, and the components pretty basic, with cottered cranks!

midlife

Guru
The Stadium was an entry level. Steel chainset and no chrome and would have come with a plastic saddle. Nice geometry though and rode well.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Really? I'm surprised at that. They're OK bikes, but the ones I've seen don't strike me as high end. I picked up an '80-81 5-speed Stadium as part of a trio of cheapo donors, and that frame is tru-wel, and the components pretty basic, with cottered cranks!
My 67 'Clubman' is 'only' Tru-wel tubing and it's a lovely bike to ride.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My 67 'Clubman' is 'only' Tru-wel tubing and it's a lovely bike to ride.

I ride several basic hi-tensile frames and there's nothing inherently wrong with any of them. they do carry some weight penalty, but with bikes less costs more. I still maintain that a quality butted frame like 531 is a slightly more comfortable ride than plain gauge hi-tensile though - assuming all the bikes you are comparing have decent geometry etc.

The Stadium donor bike I acquired had a rock hard plastic saddle, just like the one I had on my own Raleigh Arena around 1980-ish. I always use to get on fine with the Arena saddle, probably the reason I have a tough arse now and am not too sensitive to most saddles!

Top Bottom