Dating a Claud Butler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lol... must change the title.
I read it that way as well.

OP
OP
PappaRay

PappaRay

Regular
You could also try getting a date from the williams chainset.
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/williamsdating.html
Thanks for this info Steve. It'll come in useful.

OP
OP
PappaRay

PappaRay

Regular
20171203_122522.jpg picture of the bottom bracket. I couldn't find any numbers stamped on the brakes or derailier! Looking at these numbers I'm presuming they're a date stamp? Which would make the bike about 42 years old.

Gaben

Regular
Your bike was indeed manufactured after CB went into receivership in 1957 and the brand was taken over by Holdsworth. The bad news of it (apart from not being a genuine CB) is that Holdsworth gave up on coding the date of manufacturing into the serial number, so there is no point in holding onto that.

With CB bikes like yours, one can get an approximate dating by judgment of the lugs, braze-ons, dropouts and the paintwork/design as well as componentry, compared to known visual references on the Internet.

An indicative reference confirming that your bike is a post-1957 CB-s is the location of the pump pegs on the bottom of the top tube (vs. those on the down tube on genuine CB bikes).

Lugs on your frame are Nervex Legere (Model 48) lugs, which also confirm the Holdsworth era (CB had his own proprietary lug design). This as well, suggests that your bike is a relatively early example of the Holdsworth made CB-s, because in later years plane Prugnat lugs were used instead of the ornate Nervex types.

In summary, your frame can be dated anywhere from 1961 (the first year C.B-s were made with Nervex lugs) to 1963 when the Nervex Legere lugs were last used. Model is the Coreur equipped with mid-to-high quality components.

Hope that helps!

Top Bottom