Dating a Claud Butler

Discussion in 'Vintage and Classic Bikes' started by PappaRay, 30 Nov 2017.

Tags:
  1. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

i was offered a nice original 50's one last week , just cant fit any more bike's in the garage so had to say no :sad:

Drago and Illaveago like this.
  2. I read it that way as well.

3. The bike looks original. One way of checking the date would be to have a look at the date marks on the brake calipers. Weinmanns are usually stamped on the back , GB's are sometimes on the front.

Cycleops likes this.
  4. From the style of graphics I would guess 60's into early 70's.

5. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

Re your title.

Remember that consent is vital.

Drago, PappaRay and Duffy like this.
  6. ozboz

ozboz Über Member

Also may need a Houldsworth to Chaperone !!
    ;)

PappaRay and Blue Hills like this.
  7. stevevw

stevevw Veteran

PappaRay likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    PappaRay

PappaRay Regular

Cheers Ozboz, I'll see if I can Raleigh up a chaperone to ride tandem on our date.

classic33 likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    PappaRay

PappaRay Regular

Thanks for this info Steve. It'll come in useful.

10. OP
    OP
    PappaRay

PappaRay Regular

I'll take one and put it on.... thanks

classic33 likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    PappaRay

PappaRay Regular

20171203_122522.jpg picture of the bottom bracket. I couldn't find any numbers stamped on the brakes or derailier! Looking at these numbers I'm presuming they're a date stamp? Which would make the bike about 42 years old.

12. Gaben

Gaben Regular

Your bike was indeed manufactured after CB went into receivership in 1957 and the brand was taken over by Holdsworth. The bad news of it (apart from not being a genuine CB) is that Holdsworth gave up on coding the date of manufacturing into the serial number, so there is no point in holding onto that.

With CB bikes like yours, one can get an approximate dating by judgment of the lugs, braze-ons, dropouts and the paintwork/design as well as componentry, compared to known visual references on the Internet.

An indicative reference confirming that your bike is a post-1957 CB-s is the location of the pump pegs on the bottom of the top tube (vs. those on the down tube on genuine CB bikes).

Lugs on your frame are Nervex Legere (Model 48) lugs, which also confirm the Holdsworth era (CB had his own proprietary lug design). This as well, suggests that your bike is a relatively early example of the Holdsworth made CB-s, because in later years plane Prugnat lugs were used instead of the ornate Nervex types.

In summary, your frame can be dated anywhere from 1961 (the first year C.B-s were made with Nervex lugs) to 1963 when the Nervex Legere lugs were last used. Model is the Coreur equipped with mid-to-high quality components.

Hope that helps!

13. OP
    OP
    PappaRay

PappaRay Regular

Cheers Gaben, you've answered everything I wanted to know.
    It's most appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Ray
    I uploaded a picture to show you how the project is coming on.
    20180119_104158.jpg

raleighnut and Drago like this.
  14. Drago

Drago Guru

Someone call an ambulance, quick! Biggs said no to a vintage bike!!!

PappaRay, biggs682 and raleighnut like this.
  15. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

They have been on call a few times lately as i have had to say no to quite a few nice bikes

Drago likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice