Dating a dawes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

porteous

Veteran
Can anyone point me to a source of Dawes numbers and dates? I have a mid 70s Double 5 numbered A4314 on the rear dropout. Many thanks.

It seems that Dawes kept no records of frame numbers :wacko:

The general consensus seems to be wheel size and brake calipers being the best pointer of age, but clearly this is of no use if the bike has been upgraded/updated!

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Like just about every one on this forum, I love my bike(s), but I draw the line at dating one.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Dunno if they changed much between years but below are from the 77 catalogue.

b4.JPG
b7.JPG

OP
OP
porteous

porteous

Veteran
Thanks. I think it was probably produced between 75 and 78, the bike is very original and spec is dead on except the bike is fitted with a Simplec rear mech rather than Huret,

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I have been unsucessfully been trying to date my Dawes. It's not helped that most of the components have been replaced and eroneously been reliveried "Rory O' Brien.

OP
OP
porteous

porteous

Veteran
It occurs to me that there are probably a number of things that indicate dates with some reliability ( in the absence of serial number lists). They are:
Headbadge design (This seems to have changed at least three times)
Lug design (Anybody have any ideas about this??)
Componants used. (less reliable but still useful. When did Weinmann Vanquer brake models change, and when did labels switch from red to black, for inatance. I have found out that the centrepull 999 was first used in the UK in 1959 and not replaced by Dawes until the 80s ).

Comments chaps?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
None of the clues that Porteous has listed really helps me as there is no head badge and most of the components are non original ( except possibly 105 hubs and chainset) and no numbers anywhere. In fact the only reason I know it's a Dawes is it has "Dawes" stamped on the top of the seat stays. Does anyone know when they started/stopped doing this or on what models? I also suspect it's 531 because of the weight but there is no decal.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
None of the clues that Porteous has listed really helps me

I also suspect it's 531 because of the weight but there is no decal.

Size and frame weight? forks weight? markings on dropouts? pics of lugs and bb shell? seatpost diameter? make and model of headset, stem, bars, bb (these are the components somewhat less likely to be replaced than the rest...)?

Top Bottom