Dating a Raleigh Siren Series 1 from its serial number

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RegG

Über Member
Not sure if this bike qualifies as a Vintage or Classic but I will ask anyway.......

I am preparing for sale my late wifes Raleigh Siren. It is a 'Series 1', is equipped with Shimano 7-speed SIS triple ring and Suntour front suspension.

Is it possible to date the bike from its serial number? It's 53995337 as can be seen in the photo.

IMG_0884.JPG

Any help appreciated.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not really an expert on Raleigh numbers but it looks like a mid/late nineties model to me, possibly a bit later.

OP
OP
RegG

RegG

Über Member
Not really an expert on Raleigh numbers but it looks like a mid/late nineties model to me, possibly a bit later.

Thanks for your reply and suggestions as to the age of this bike. Thinking back it probably was bought mid nineties as my youngest daughter says she remembers going with me and her mum to buy it. The bike was passed onto my youngest after my wife died and it has now come back to me to sell on. It is in remarkably good condition for its age!

Drago

Legendary Member
Best bet is to get a date code off the rear mech. Google shows the Siren as having the awful Altus non-slant parallelogram rear mech, which puts it in the 96-98 age range.

OP
OP
RegG

RegG

Über Member
Thanks for the replies, all helpful!

Just to say thanks again here's a few pics of the bike......

Attachments

• IMG_0885.JPG
    IMG_0885.JPG
    257.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0887.JPG
    IMG_0887.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0889.JPG
    IMG_0889.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0890.JPG
    IMG_0890.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0891.JPG
    IMG_0891.JPG
    271.9 KB · Views: 61

Cycleops

Legendary Member
In nice condition too. I'm a particular fan of this type of bike from this era, although I'd pick one with rigid forks. After this period the frames were mostly aluminium but the steel ones were better IMHO.

Top Bottom