Dating a Viking Severn Valley

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Coast

Dating as in ageing before anyone suggests that I may need help for my love of vintage road bikes :blush:

I can't find much information on the Viking Severn Valley (Wolverhampton built so 50's/60's) and I am trying to establish what age my Viking Severn frame is. From what I have read it looks like it could be a 1957 model as it has Nervex lugs and the V prefix to the serial number (One website suggesting it was 1957 when this happened when the Severn Valley replaced the Tour of Britain as Vikings top model in the catalogue - before this it didn't sport the Nervex lugs). A piece I read on Brian Haskell showing his 1957 bike also quoted the serial number of that frame to be close to that of mine.

Anyone out there that can shed a little more light on the model and identifying the model year?

Dating as in ageing before anyone suggests that I may need help for my love of vintage road bikes :blush:

I can't find much information on the Viking Severn Valley (Wolverhampton built so 50's/60's) and I am trying to establish what age my Viking Severn frame is. From what I have read it looks like it could be a 1957 model as it has Nervex lugs and the V prefix to the serial number (One website suggesting it was 1957 when this happened when the Severn Valley replaced the Tour of Britain as Vikings top model in the catalogue - before this it didn't sport the Nervex lugs). A piece I read on Brian Haskell showing his 1957 bike also quoted the serial number of that frame to be close to that of mine.

Anyone out there that can shed a little more light on the model and identifying the model year?

Hi .
Do you have any pictures of your bike ?
Apart from us liking pictures it may help in identifying things .
Date stamps on cranks or on brake calipers ?

OP
OP
Coast

Coast

Hi. It’s just a frame only. No decals or head badge even. Just the serial number and lugs indicating it is a Severn Valley. I’ll post a pic tomorrow.

OP
OP
Coast

Coast

In the meantime here is my 1968 Carlton Giro D’Italia for lovers of older British racing bikes 😊

57511ECB-0B32-48C3-B209-F9C05CCDCFA3.jpeg

Just curious ! Where in the Viking hierarchy did the Conquest sit ? :wacko:

Top Bottom