Daughter left brused and battererd with bent bike, but it could have been so much worse!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

porteous

Veteran
My daughter's classic Dawes bike after she was hit in London yesterday. Driver stopped and was "apologetic" but no idea yet quite what went on! She is careful on the bike and was wearing a helmet and hi viz jacket. She is bruised and shaken up but after 2 hours in A&E being x-rayed has no broken bones so hopefully no long term damage.

Not sure of the details and will fill in later but if anybody recognises the bike and description of her and witnessed what happened I would like to chat.

Attachments

• Lou's bike, May 14th 2017.jpg
    Lou's bike, May 14th 2017.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not good, but you possibly need to give more details of location.

OP
OP
porteous

porteous

Veteran
Not good, but you possibly need to give more details of location.
As I said, more details when I have spoken to her, all by e-mail so far. She lives in SW18 and it happened locally I think. The other vehicle was a car. More when I get it.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear that, the parents often feel the pain more than the kids do, remembering of course not matter how old your kids are they are always your kids. Hope she has a speedy recovery and take it easy yourself.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
porteous

porteous

Veteran
My daughter's classic Dawes bike after she was hit in London yesterday. Driver stopped and was "apologetic" but no idea yet quite what went on! She is careful on the bike and was wearing a helmet and hi viz jacket. She is bruised and shaken up but after 2 hours in A&E being x-rayed has no broken bones so hopefully no long term damage.

Not sure of the details and will fill in later but if anybody recognises the bike and description of her and witnessed what happened I would like to chat.

Update: Thank you for all the kind wishes.
This happened in Battersea Park Road about 9am on Friday. A car coming towards her simply turned right, across her path, and ran over the front wheel of the bike. God knows what the driver thought they were doing! And despite her being in a high vis jacket. Anybody that saw this do please get in touch.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A car coming towards her simply turned right, across her path, and ran over the front wheel of the bike. God knows what the driver thought they were doing! And despite her being in a high vis jacket.
Sadly that is so common it has a nickname: the right cross. Glad she is not too badly hurt and hope she is back cycling soon.

I have doubts about hi vis. I don't think drivers expect to see someone in hi vis, especially in places like London or Cambridge, so they simply don't see it, even when looking straight at it. :sad: It's like that video with the gorilla. I think they should let us fit bazookas to the bikes :evil: but until then I have settled for a camera and practising emergncy stops and panic turns.

Edit: in case it wasn't clear, there are almost no excuses for driving into someone, no matter what they are (or aren't!) wearing. It's just the second-biggest H had been mentioned twice as if it works.

Last edited:

davidphilips

Veteran
Thank goodness your daughter is not to badly hurt, hope you have the drivers details they really should pay for bike repairs/replacement plus a new helmet thats the very least they should do.

Have the police been contacted as they should have tested the driver for drink driving? Main thing is hopefully your daughter will make a full recovery.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Get well soon to your daughter, it sounds like she had a (relatively) lucky escape no doubt in part to her awareness.

They should legalise carrying flash bangs for cyclists, having done a bit of work for the army those really get your attention.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom