Daughter left brused and battererd with bent bike, but it could have been so much worse!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I hope she isn't too sore and that this hasn't put her off. It's a "Get well soon" from me as well.

Reactions: mjr

cubey

Über Member
Hope she gets over the incident soon and back on the bike.:okay: Maybe look at using a bright day light running front light on the bike, there are some very powerful light available these days.

Drago

Legendary Member
Any word on what actually happened?

OP
OP
porteous

porteous

Veteran
No witnesses yet, but basically they were coming from opposite directions and he turned right, hitting the front wheel of her bike. Despite the fact that she was wearing a high viz jacket and helmet. The damage to the bike bears out the bike being struck from the right. Another 2 feet and it would have been her taking the damage, not the bike. At least the bloke apologised and gave her his phone number.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
A GWS from me too. Hope it doesn't knock her confidence and she is straight back out on the bike at the first opportunity.

I'm with @mjr on this one. I don't think it makes a blind bit of difference if you are wearing hi-viz or have a bright daytime light on, the drivers seem to have selective blindness when it comes to cyclists and I have been on the receiving end of this many times (luckily near misses due to alertness and anticipation) despite being on clear roads, in a prominent position and with excellent daytime visibility. I also wish you wouldn't keep referring to the fact that she was not seen despite wearing hi-viz and a helmet, what on earth has a helmet got to do with helping someone to see you?
Anyway, it sounds a bit like I am bashing you or your daughter, which I am not, the collision sounds to be entirely the fault of the muppet driver. Your daughter will have learned a valuable lesson from this, and thankfully at a very low real cost. Do not put your faith in pseudo-safety devices like hi-viz or helmets but be continually aware that any one other road user might not see you and always be prepared to react accordingly.

albion

Guru
Hope she gets over the incident soon and back on the bike.:okay: Maybe look at using a bright day light running front light on the bike, there are some very powerful light available these days.
Every little helps but the person likely looked for cars, that being the only conscious thought process.
Motor bikes are at even worse risk, them inspiring the 'Think Bike' campaigns.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
A high viz jacket and helmet won't stop drivers making stupid manueaveres. Sadly drivers just aren't concentrating and looking. They are in their own little bubbles oblivious to much of what's going on around them.

Top Bottom