Daughters first overnighter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Mods if you feel this belongs in the Travelogues section feel free to move but wasn't sure if it qualified particularly 🙂

So my daughter has been desperate to do an overnighter inspired by my trips over the past few years.
Longest ride she's ever done is around 10 miles so thought we'd push it a bit and ride over the bridge to Barton upon Humber for the night.
Nothing special for me but for her it was an adventure and she couldn't wait to set off on Friday morning.
Initial plan was to use my backloader so she could carry a few bits herself but once loaded it fouled the rear wheel so with my very heavy panniers we set off from East Hull on our trip.

Ready for off, bit damp!
20230901_105736.jpg

Quick blast over the marina, luckily she didn't see the overpriced ice cream van. Soon out down the side of the A63 however this is a trail I haven't ridden for many years and is now completely overgrown so a quick reroute back to Hessle for our first stop to give the little legs a rest and let the nettle stings wear off

20230901_115614.jpg

Bit of off roading before turning back....

20230901_124003.jpg

The Black Cat tearooms in Hessle, definitely worth a stop if anyones ever up this way.

20230901_140202.jpg

Over the bridge which is always fun!

20230901_143850.jpg

Arrived in decent enough time to the Imagiarium rooms and bistro. Restaurant was fully booked for the night which was a shame as it looked gorgeous but the rooms were just as good for £58 a night. Shower and chill then out for tea at the Smokehouse next door which was amazing.
She definitely earned that burger!

20230901_193124.jpg

She was on a high at this point and kept talking about how she couldn't believe she'd done it. 18 miles and proud of herself saw her asleep early and me not far behind.

Day 2
Nice lay in and on the road for 10ish. Little ride around Barton in the sunshine before brunch at the waterside cafe overlooking the bridge.

20230902_105032.jpg

Obligatory ice cream stop back on the Marina

20230902_131515.jpg

She had gotten a bit grumbly at this point thinking we still had miles to go but then suddenly realised we weren't that far when shown the map. Really found her stride at this point and after riding a single speed for the last couple of years started to figure out the gears properly. Averaged 12 mph for a good couple of miles and I struggled to keep up at one point, I'll blame my added weight as the issue 😁.

Home in a nice time and she is already talking about wanting to do it again.
33 miles in total over the 2 days and one incredibly proud dad.
Hoping it continues as she gets older!

Dead....😄

20230902_142632.jpg

Of course Eeyore has to come everywhere with us

20230901_131059.jpg

Last edited:

richardfm

Veteran
Well done to her, let's hope it is the first of many trips

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

Thank you for the kind words.
Even now we are still both on a high from it.

Wonderful! Absolutely wonderful!
Thank you for sharing.

An excellent sign!
(And now you have time to sort out some way for her to carry her gear ^_^)

Travelogues need to be qualified??? Feck that!

Good for you!

Yes, I've been looking at racks as that's what she's wanting. No mounts on the frame for one but I'm sure I'll be able to fettle something to it somehow.
Haha I did debate the travelogue thread initially but felt it may be more suited here.
Once she bumps into you one day in the back of beyond ill let her collaborate 😄

postman

Legendary Member
big well done from here.can i be a bit of a fuddy duddy.can i suggest better footwear next time,they look like crocs,and surely not suitable for long distance cycling.

richardfm

Veteran
Thank you for the kind words.
Even now we are still both on a high from it.

Yes, I've been looking at racks as that's what she's wanting. No mounts on the frame for one but I'm sure I'll be able to fettle something to it somehow.
Haha I did debate the travelogue thread initially but felt it may be more suited here.
Once she bumps into you one day in the back of beyond ill let her collaborate 😄

I thought her bike looked a little on the small side for her. Maybe she needs a new bike with pannier and mudguard mounts.

Quick Google had returned these.
Tempted..........

I don't have kids (and am not a cleat wearer) so maybe I'm talking through my hoop but my immediate reaction is to say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". There are some of us out there where the doing of something is of far more importance than the how of doing it. The more "complicated" it becomes, the less attractive it becomes.

Or, at the very least, if it needs fixing, let her see it and fix it.

Remember....
I did pack her trainers secretly in an 'I told you so' sort of way when she complained however she never did and voiced no issues barring 'sweaty hands'

And most importantly.....
she is already talking about wanting to do it again.
It seems like your work is already done!
However, If you want to inspire her might I suggest Jenny Graham or Dervla, spend a bit of time on YouTube and send her the odd, random video, (or podcast) or stick up a map on a wall and let it work its magic?

I hope I didn't step on any toes, but I'm a firm believer that inspiration is the most important ingredient. Someone inspired will overcome pretty much anything.

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

@HobbesOnTour not at all and good advice thank you.
The spd crocs were tongue in cheek 🙂, not for me. If she's happy in crocs I agree with your sentiment of leaving her to it. She's a resilient little soul and will persevere with anything if she's interested in it. Good advice on the vids, will have a look.

I thought her bike looked a little on the small side for her. Maybe she needs a new bike with pannier and mudguard mounts.

@richardfm She doesn't need to know about N+1 just yet 😉.
It was new in July for her birthday, Specialized Jett 24" wheels and does fit her, 26" wheels would be the next step up and was too big in the bike shop when tried.
The saddle is probably a bit too low but shes comfortable with that, any higher for a 'proper fit' would mean she couldn't reach the floor from the seat. Whilst this is how we prefer it, her 9 year old self can't quite get her head around that just yet.
Plenty of room for adjustment though and thanks for the advice 👍.

Next bike will a longer term investment, she's already showing interest in my drop bar bikes, maybe a 26" wheeled tourer will be on the cards :whistle:.

Last edited:

Kingfisher101

Über Member

It does look too small for her I agree. OP get her her a new bike now that she's on a roll and she'll be well away. Its amazing that you are doing this with your daughter, well done both of you.
I've been to Barton as well and over the Bridge and its lovely.

Top Bottom