dave hinde wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
That name rings a bell, and I don't think in a good way.

brockers

The choice of components is good. Either OPs on !05 or OS on Tiagra, and with the tyres chucked in they seem very cheap. Good, long life, serviceable wheels, and a more sensible choice than Mavic or Fulcrum at that price. Many on here rate Rigida Chrina rims too, so there's something else to throw in to the mix. By all means go for pre-made (factory) wheels if you're spending over £400 and if you need a couple of seconds advantage in a race (and can afford to replace them when you crash), but otherwise there's little point apart from pose value (though you won't be impressing anybody worth impressing anyway if you're spending under that, if that makes sense). There's always Planet-X Model Bs for around £125 which are OK for a cheap and cheerful set of 'factorys' as they have reasonable quality hubs and rims and you're not paying a premium for a brand, but everything else being equal, i.e., tyres, inner tubes and tyre pressures, you get a far more compliant ride on a nice set of 'handbuilts'. Meaning you'll ride your bike for longer. If you look at what professional riders use when they're training (or 'getting the miles in'), and if the sponsors aren't looking, quite a few choose regular 32 spoke wheels. And comfy saddles - but that's another story.

Whatever you do though - AVOID DAVE HINDE. Too many horror stories. He might sell you something you didn't ask for, and you'll have a fight to have it put right. He has a reputation for appalling wheel-building - meaning loose spokes meaning wheels going out of true very quickly. My advice would be to have a bit more of a dig around on the internet and buy your 105/Open Pro or Tiagra/Open Sports combo from one of the big boys like Ribble, Parker or Chain Reaction Cycles.You might end up forking out slightly more, but it'll be worth it.

I'm sure someone will pipe up with the holy trinity of wheelbuilders (Paul Hewiit, Harry Rowland and 'Wheelsmith' Derek) but they're overkill at this level in all honesty.

Hi Part time Cyclist I am a Wheel builder in York running yourspokes and the things you are looking for I will be happy to help you out with if you have any problems.

I do have to say that the Rigida Chrina rims are better then the OP or the OS for longevity...

Top Bottom