Dave Quinn trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grldtnr

The upright trikes are a little easier to handle if you can transfer some weight to the front and can live with the front end sliding a bit. Trailing the rear brake into the corner helps too...

Oooohh ! Different handling characteristics if it's a recumbent trike, never brake the rear wheel, it will send you into a skid, and flip you out, that's if it has one, ....but it can be exploited, bit of opposite lock, a big hand full of brake, then you can goi into a skiddy baroochy hand brake turn, but it eventually wreck the wheel.

3 wheel drifts round tight bends anyone?

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
I do get a bit of drifting at high speed but it's super scary.
Tend to get understeer then a whole load of oversteer before crashing hideously.
Had one bad moment that I won't forget comuteing from work.
Dark, back lane sweeping downhill bend and came out of my seat ending up facing the wrong way.luckily I was clipped in so didn't loose my feet.
I do use my back brake for a bit of speed scrubbing but it's inherently dangerous.

grldtnr

I do get a bit of drifting at high speed but it's super scary.
Tend to get understeer then a whole load of oversteer before crashing hideously.
Had one bad moment that I won't forget comuteing from work.
Dark, back lane sweeping downhill bend and came out of my seat ending up facing the wrong way.luckily I was clipped in so didn't loose my feet.
I do use my back brake for a bit of speed scrubbing but it's inherently dangerous.

I learnt to ride trikes on/ in a Pete Ross Trice, the forerunner of today's ICE trikes, what the Trice lacked in build quality , it more than made up in handling, whoa ! the times I got things wrong on it, the ultimate was coming to a Audax check in Thaxted ,Essex, I was showing off, and paid for it big time, deliberately slid the back wheel out , but hot it so wrong, went into a death toll bounced around and hit the Kerb with the front wheels.
After I got up ,and tried to ride away, I realized I had bent the main frame crucifix in 2 places, the trike wasn't straight anymore ,I had trashed it, but still managed to ride it to the finish 30 miles away, it didn't like right turns at all.
That's the main reason why I don't specify rear braking, it serves little purpose, only there for parking, to his credit,Pete Ross gave me another frame for free, his frames often failed, it finally bit the dust 2 years back when it catastrophiclly failed when it split in two.
I now have an AZUB, its much more stable, comfortable, if not as quick, but it also has no rear brake, I had learned the hard way.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I had a recumbent trike for a couple of years and found it ok to ride but it just wasn't for me. One big advantage is if you are forced to stop on a steep hill getting moving again is no problem, you're not going to stall and topple over.

Used to see a few uprights in time trials back in the day and a mate with balance issues had a Roberts specially built for him.

Top Bottom