Dave Russell.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I responded to the below Faceache post yesterday .

>>> NOW TAKEN << My 21.5 inch 1982 Dave Russel 531db. {it also spent some time in White and Purple Condor livery} Obviously needs TLC but it's straight and dent free. Nice short w/b and some nice vintage shimano bits too. Challenges will be getting the seatpost and BB out, though the BB was a sealed unit and has probly done less than 1000 miles. DM me if interested. I've got a pile of bits of the same era including a couple of pairs of old cinelli bars that will go with it. Oh and in 1983 at the age of 16 it took me to a 21min 10 and a 56min 25 with brake cables n everything!

I was lucky enough to collect it earlier today from the previous owner who competed at the 1986 commonwealth games in Edinburgh on it .

My expectations were not high with the look of the campagnolo seat post.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
That was quick :smile:

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Once home I sneaked into the garage after taking the below picture.

First job was to give everything a generous spray of plus gas and say a few prayers on the hope that the seat post might not be seized :laugh:.

And imagine my total surprise that it just popped out in my hand ^_^

Once I recovered from that shock I raised the stem also not seized. I then swapped the hybrid wheels for a set of Mavic ma 40 rimmed ones that were in more keeping.

I couldn't resist a gentle cycle path pootle so of I set of for a 1.5 mile road test .

It's an amazingly light machine and I am looking forward to doing what ever happens next to it .

Got some nice bits on it including the rusty red chain :laugh:

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Wow, that's awesome... hope you keep us updated with the progress... :okay:

In two minds what to do next as previous owner said he replaced bottom bracket for a sealed unit but thinks the threads are a bit rough so it was put in with some lock tight to hold it in place so he wasn't sure how easily it would come out .

So i might just have a quick try and see what happens as worse comes to worse i can fit a threadless unit as i would like to get some miles on it to see how it rides before making any decisions on a refurb etc etc .

Other jobs on the list are a different set of wheels and tyres , back to drops with new cables and a new chain oh and some pads then some miles

southcoast

Über Member
Markus Reeves and he thought it was 1981/2 after showing a bit of promise on an older and heavier bike

I did hear that some of Dave’s frame have the initials of the first owner as part of the frame number.

midlife

Guru
Lugs, over bb guides, nutted brakes, fully sloping fork crown, style of top tube cabling and long dropouts would make me think a bit earlier than the 80`s, especially for a custom build?

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Lugs, over bb guides, nutted brakes, fully sloping fork crown, style of top tube cabling and long dropouts would make me think a bit earlier than the 80`s, especially for a custom build?
I can only go with what the original owner told me .
But I understand your thoughts .

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Nice. Very nice! Well worth a refurb I think. I hope the bb won't be too much of a problem.

A 21 minute '10' isn't hanging around! Nor is the 56 come to that.

Top Bottom