Dave Russell.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
In two minds what to do next as previous owner said he replaced bottom bracket for a sealed unit but thinks the threads are a bit rough so it was put in with some lock tight to hold it in place so he wasn't sure how easily it would come out .

So i might just have a quick try and see what happens as worse comes to worse i can fit a threadless unit as i would like to get some miles on it to see how it rides before making any decisions on a refurb etc etc

You want one of these, never fails to get them out!

A103ECBE-FE0B-4CEE-B397-2C292C7719F7.jpeg

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Bit of an update .
I have been gently applying some thinners and wiping or a gentle rub with fine wire wool to see what is underneath the black paint .

Also pulled the bottom bracket out as it was a bit notchy a threadless one will go back in as the threads are a bit weak.

View attachment 566200

View attachment 566201

View attachment 566202

View attachment 566203

View attachment 566204
Could you maybe get the bb rethreaded? No signs of the purple paint? It looks more like a greenish/blueish colour underneath.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
You want one of these, never fails to get them out!

View attachment 566327

As mentioned on my update the cups came out quite easily once I had broken the bond and I only used my standard 3/8 " bar , I leave the bigger bar for seized ones but if you are not careful the ridges in the cups can shear before the cups start to move then the fun starts :laugh:.

Could you maybe get the bb rethreaded? No signs of the purple paint? It looks more like a greenish/blueish colour underneath.
Yes under normal circumstances I would drop it off at Lee Cooper for him to do some magic but till I have done some miles on it I don't want to spend too much on it yet .

No purple colour but like you say greenish blue and white .

Bit of an update .
I have been gently applying some thinners and wiping or a gentle rub with fine wire wool to see what is underneath the black paint .

Also pulled the bottom bracket out as it was a bit notchy a threadless one will go back in as the threads are a bit weak.

View attachment 566200

View attachment 566201

View attachment 566202

View attachment 566203

View attachment 566204
I can see where you are going wrong ! You need to remove that nut before fitting that brake caliper ! :whistle:

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Never mind, you can take another one in the morning! ^_^
Here here you go , I really like the top tube cable guides on this one.

Keeping the rat look for time being.

southcoast

Über Member
Nice bike with a bit of history. Dave made some fine bikes. Does it have a small chain stay bridge near the bottom bracket?

southcoast

Über Member
Yes it’ll be interesting to hear how it’s rides.
is it like this Russell with the small chain stay bridge? See pic

Attachments

• 46CAD818-1E08-423B-8AA8-8B7B5067925A.jpeg
    46CAD818-1E08-423B-8AA8-8B7B5067925A.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 15
Top Bottom