Dave's Theory......1 mile on exercise bike = 2 miles on the road :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobblers

Euthermic
As I am "in training" for a lengthy ride but DO NOT ENJOY winter cycling I am indoors on the execise bike.
Now (as my wife would agree) I am no Einstein but my theory is based on several facts.

1) Its as boring as hell whereas road cycling can be really enjoyable & interesting.
2) It is constant i.e. no let up........I do 45 minutes flat out........when road cycling I can cruise downhill or whenever
I feel like it.
3) no breeze.......thats important! I have the window open but oh boy do I sweat!

On the up-side...........I can listen to Bruce Springstein or Queen (feel free to substitue any good music) :smile:
That is the basis for Dave's theory!!!!!

Oh, at least! I mean, it's really quite an achievement to pedal a normally stationary exercise bike down the road! :smile: One thing though - they don't have brakes so how do you stop?

screenman

Legendary Member
Stopping is easy, you just have a clipless moment. That normally stops any forward motion.

ayceejay

Guru
If you want your theory challenged by a peer I'm your man.
If you calibrate with time (minutes work better than decimals) then you can stop pedaling anytime you want or get off
the bike and come on CC to learn stuff and this doesn't interfere with the time at all. You could even challenge
Einstein's theory of relationships and ask the missus to bring you a cup of tea you won't be bored and before you know it
your time will be up.

gam001

Über Member
And that sir is why you will never be a ground breaking scientific type person...........like wat as ow I am. You need to think outside the box..........think laterally.
If Einstein had had that attitude gravity would never have been invented and we would all be floating around off the ground.
I stick with my scientifically proven theory that 1 mile = 2 miles :smile:
So, what happens if you are on a train, moving at the speed of light, whilst on an exercise bike......... :wacko: ^_^

BSRU

A Human Being
Doesn't matter how hard or fast I peddle on the turbo my distance travelled is always zero miles:tongue:.

Very advantageous being able to catch up on TV I would never have watched, currently watching "Luther":thumbsup:.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It's a good job Einstein didn't discover gravity, then. Or is that what you meant?

that's the fella wot discovered atoms innit

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm agree once you're going it's simples, it's the stop start, direction change, hills, traffic, blasted wind that makes you work so... 1 mile on exercise bike = 1/2 mile on the road

Having just got into this turbo malarkey "once you're going it's simples" doesn't accord with my experience. Keeping my heart rate up around 160 feels far from simples

moo

Doesn't matter how hard or fast I peddle on the turbo my distance travelled is always zero miles:tongue:.

Very advantageous being able to catch up on TV I would never have watched, currently watching "Luther":thumbsup:.

If you can concentrate on TV you're not doing it right. You should so completely zoned out that you need to re-watch the episode later :smile:

Top Bottom