David James to start in goal tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyh

Veteran
James did nowt wrong, and in that respect was the best player.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
johnnyh said:
James did nowt wrong, and in that respect was the best player.

He fumbled that punch clearance early on... was a worry but thanks to the Algerians not testing him much, he did nothing wrong!

MarkF

Guru
Flying_Monkey said:
That is one of England's problems right now. They have several, perhaps even many, 'good' keepers, but no 'great' ones. To be honest, I think Steve Harper of Newcastle would have been as good a choice.

Eh? :smile: That's a weird call. The guy has been a number 2 goalie, like forever, finally getting the first team shirt because his club was a)fiddle and b)skint. He is nearly middle aged and in his whole career has played about 140 games, about 20 managers must have thought he was crap in that time. :sad:

James is by far the best until Hart get's a chance to prove otherwise. James has the "presence" Green badly lacks.

mangaman

dellzeqq said:
James' post match interview was well wierd. Any thoughts?

What de he say Dell?

BTW I think the message that dropping Green after one mistake sends the wrong message. I think the rest of the team will feel they have to be perfect or they're out, which contributed to their nervousness.

If James is a better keeper than Green in Capello's mind he should have played him from the start. One mistake (followed by 1 fantastic save) doesn't make him a crap keeper. James has made enough similar errors in his time.

All the big European teams seem to be imploding now (except Holland - who are usually the most reliable bet for a good implosion!).

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I would agree re Green except that RG looks like a bloke out of his depth and maybe he was right to put it right secon time round. I'm more concerned that Capello doesn't seem to be as tactically sound as we were led to believe. He doesn't appear to have a plan B and persisting with SWP is perverse with the wit and vision of Joe Cole idling on the bench.

The commentators keep referring to the hairdryer treatment FC will dish out at half-time but, quite honestly, for £6m pa I think we should get something more than a shouter. Ah well, perhaps we'll stuff Slovenia and all will be well with the world! The rest are hardly playing football to drool over.

darkstar

mangaman said:
What de he say Dell?

BTW I think the message that dropping Green after one mistake sends the wrong message. I think the rest of the team will feel they have to be perfect or they're out, which contributed to their nervousness.

If James is a better keeper than Green in Capello's mind he should have played him from the start. One mistake (followed by 1 fantastic save) doesn't make him a crap keeper. James has made enough similar errors in his time.

All the big European teams seem to be imploding now (except Holland - who are usually the most reliable bet for a good implosion!).
Apparently Green had a poor few days training, seems like a good reason to swap him to me.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
dellzeqq said:
James' post match interview was well wierd. Any thoughts?

Thoughts? hmmm, Dells PC has been hijacked by a teenage girl... well wierd?

potsy

Rambler
He didn't sound happy with Capello to me,said something like 'if that's the way he wants to do it' when talking about the lateness of announcing the team.
Meeting tonight of all the squad and management to air their views apparently:wacko:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I can't find a youtube bit, but the essence of it is this..

Interviewer 'the manager says you're playing under pressure'

James 'does he?' Grunts.

Top Bottom