David James to start in goal tonight

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Location
SW2
well, CCers, Robert Green's mum is going to be upset about that one! What do we think? Is Capello's conservatism hindering the team? Should Joe Hart have been given a decent run in goal while he was on top form for Birmingham?
 

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Location
Brighton
I'd have started with James, as would most who posted on here before the tournament.
I think Capello's selections have been odd to me and he needs to get it right before the hound start baying.
 
it's a bit weird how england have won so many games since capello took over and then as soon as the world cup arrives, they completely lose the plot with tactics, team choices, substitutions, etc.
 

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
trustysteed said:
it's a bit weird how england have won so many games since capello took over and then as soon as the world cup arrives, they completely lose the plot with tactics, team choices, substitutions, etc.
They drew their opening match. let's have a bit of perspective here, or would you rather they did as well as Spain?
 
Smokin Joe said:
They drew their opening match. let's have a bit of perspective here, or would you rather they did as well as Spain?
it was the manner of the draw (not the goalkeeping error). they scored early and then looked rubbish for the rest of the game.
 

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Location
Kent
dellzeqq said:
well, CCers, Robert Green's mum is going to be upset about that one! What do we think? Is Capello's conservatism hindering the team? Should Joe Hart have been given a decent run in goal while he was on top form for Birmingham?
Has he already announced the team? I thought he was not planning on this until a few hours before the game?

Its a shame, I thought he may/should/would give him a second chance, that will rock his confidence now... Flapper James is no better! :sad::wacko:
 

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
trustysteed said:
it was the manner of the draw (not the goalkeeping error). they scored early and then looked rubbish for the rest of the game.
They were not rubbish. They were below their best, as most teams will be at some point during a long tournament.

I what would people on here be saying if they were German or Spanish?
 

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
HLaB said:
My thoughts exactly.

Keeping it all hush, hush may be good for keeping competition, etc. But surely it would have been better for the defence to get to know who's behind them. Is it somebody who stays on the line/ comes for crosses, liable to flap :laugh:, etc.
The players train with all three goalkeepers every day, they will be perfectly well aware of what each of the three are likely to do. Remember too that Capello has the advantage that we or the press don't have in that he can see who is on form or not.
 
Smokin Joe said:
The players train with all three goalkeepers every day, they will be perfectly well aware of what each of the three are likely to do. Remember too that Capello has the advantage that we or the press don't have in that he can see who is on form or not.
Maybe, but most teams would have chosen a no.1 far in advance, I think they do that for a reason. For consistency I would of stuck with Greene, its not like James isn't liable to the odd flap or four.
 

Flying_Monkey

Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere
potsy said:
Hart in next time then? Might as well give them all a game as there's not a real No1:wacko:
That is one of England's problems right now. They have several, perhaps even many, 'good' keepers, but no 'great' ones. To be honest, I think Steve Harper of Newcastle would have been as good a choice.
 
Top Bottom