David millar wants to be the voice of the pro cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If he’s going for the voice of cheating dopers, he’ll be right in with a chance, I expect a challenge would come from a Lance though.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Because Bugno was so clean.

Except for testing positive for excessive caffeine.

Except for having amphetamine sent to him by DHL.

Does it matter which poacher tirns gamekeeper?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I really don't like him. T'other day on Vuelta highlights he talked about Valverde and coming back from his "mistakes". They weren't mistakes, he cheated. I might have hurled stronger words than nobber at the screen

I really don't like him. T'other day on Vuelta highlights he talked about Valverde and coming back from his "mistakes". They weren't mistakes, he cheated. I might have hurled stronger words than nobber at the screen
I think he was referring to the errors he made in his maths homework when he was at school

I think anyone stepping forward would be open to allegations of doping; such is cycling. However, some have moved on, whilst others have not. I have no idea whether Bugno is in the former or latter category, but would put Millar in the former. And he's got a cool Brompton.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
If I were a pro cyclist (could of bin, obvs) I'd like to see Millar in my corner. He's well-connected, commercially astute and seems very tuned to the politics of cycling. I think he had a few of his fingers in the Garmin pie towards the end of his career but otherwise I don't see him as a stooge for the team bosses, ASO or the UCI.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Long interviews with Millar and a CPA official (is it Laura Mora) on www.theCyclingPodcast.com today. Millar outlines some of the reforms he'd make but says he can't see how he can win under the system where unaccountable national delegates cast the votes of hundreds of riders without asking the riders. CPA's official complains about Millar not attending their meetings and preferring to work instead (ex-rider in work shocker!), and says that they can't possibly allow riders to vote electronically but they would have if only someone had asked earlier... but Millar had already hit them back first by saying it took CPA ages to confirm what the voting system was!

Really, CPA does itself no favours by sounding like every corrupt undemocratic organisation ever. I think Millar will lose this battle but I hope he wins the war.

steverob

Guru
Reading between the lines, I don't think Millar even wants to be head of the CPA, but knew that someone who was a "known name" had to stand up and challenge them if there was to be any chance of changing the voting system, which would allow someone else to successfully challenge for this role in the future. Otherwise the CPA would just go on forever being a "jobs for the old boys" club where nothing ever changed and nothing got done apart from what had always been done.

Top Bottom