David millar wants to be the voice of the pro cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Reading between the lines, I don't think Millar even wants to be head of the CPA, but knew that someone who was a "known name" had to stand up and challenge them if there was to be any chance of changing the voting system, which would allow someone else to successfully challenge for this role in the future. Otherwise the CPA would just go on forever being a "jobs for the old boys" club where nothing ever changed and nothing got done apart from what had always been done.
So you think Millar is misleading people when he suggests he didn't know what the voting system was?

steverob

Guru
I don't think anyone apart from the five or six people who actually seem to control 95% of the CPA votes, actually knew what the system was! But judging by various tweets, a lot of the pro peloton seemed to understand that it was something weird/dodgy given that no-one has ever run against the "approved" candidate since the CPA was formed. The only way to flush out the truth was to have a stalking horse and it looks like Millar has decided to be that person.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Isn't there some story about LA and Bugno? Maybe from the 1998 Vuelta but I can't find it. The books I have which might contain it don't have indexes and there's sooooo many stories come out about LA. I know it's not the emergency stop on the line while screaming fark you or the cake box.

mjr

Love the Guardian's misleading "Millar and Armstrong were briefly teammates at Cofidis in the late 1990s" - er, no, not really. Lance was signed by Cofidis in summer 1996 for the 1997 season but he underwent cancer treatment Oct-Dec 1996 and his contract was famously terminated by Cofidis in Feb 1997 days after his all-clear, before he ever raced for them. I suspect LA got the boot before he even went to a team meeting.

mjr

The second episode of TheCyclingPodcast.com from the world championships reported Bugno re-elected to no-one's surprise, but also that Millar has been invited to be vice-president and is considering it, plus a somewhat critical interview by Tom "yes an n can have a cedilla" Skujiņš who took an hour train's ride plus a taxi to attend the voting meeting.

Top Bottom