Dawes discovery twin tandem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Effyb4

Veteran
We test rode and bought a friend's tandem today. We were very wobbly for the first five or ten minutes and I'm very glad that we started off on quiet roads.

Once we had got used to tandem riding, it was a very enjoyable ride. We rode 27 miles, with a café stop at a local wildlife trust.

We will be making a few changes. The handlebars were too low for Mr Effy and the gears slipped quite a bit. I will be buying a new saddle because the stoker saddle was very uncomfortable. Mr Effy had difficulty clipping in, so he will be buying some new spd pedals.

Looking forward to many more miles riding it together.

18557230_10155345605719320_1041742826338163173_n.jpg

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I cannot get Jannie interested in a tandem. I would love to have one.

OP
OP
Effyb4

Effyb4

Veteran
I think if you are already a confident cyclist, it can be difficult letting somebody else do the steering, braking and gear changing.

On the whole the benefits outweighed the differences in riding style between us.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Looks a nice, tidy one.

Tandems are often described as 'relationship magnifiers'.

If you get on well with the other rider off the bike, you will get on famously on the tandem.

But if there are any niggles between you, they will quickly come to fore on the tandem.

Riding one as a pair is quite hard to do well.

It's difficult not to fight each other - when he pushes, you don't and vice-versa - which is one of the reasons why climbing on a tandem is harder than most new riders think it will be.

However, if you can learn to ride 'in tandem', riding a tandem is very satisfying.

Top Bottom