Dawes Galaxy as my daily, North Wicklow, Ireland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sid Mac

Regular
Morning to all, this is my first venture into cycling forums. I was searching for info on the Dawes Galaxy and landed here.

I've used bikes for fun, never raced or competitively cycled. I used to mountain bike locally and did some touring as a youngster. The Galaxy I use now was my Dads (from the 1980's) and I now use it on the school run and to get around locally, or on the odd occasion to commute. It's in very good condition and I will soon be giving it some attention with the help of a local enthusiast.
Thanks for reading.

Sid

Chris S

Legendary Member
:welcome:

OP
OP
Sid Mac

Sid Mac

Regular
Just thought I’d share a pic of the Galaxy.
I found some old Dawes catalogues online
(Heritage ) which suggest this model may be 1982 - the spec in that catalogue seems to match my example . A sharper eye on here may be able to confirm from these pics?
0A49F64E-612A-4101-BE11-E7D7B03665E8.jpeg
!
3D971E2F-BE40-47CD-9820-7E2B075D2C57.jpeg
3D7BFB29-D629-4E34-B843-B707E44BF4C9.jpeg

Attachments

• 3FAA8440-D780-4A71-9E32-B955A205441A.jpeg
    3FAA8440-D780-4A71-9E32-B955A205441A.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
Sid Mac

Sid Mac

Regular
Current plans for it include some new padded tape (Lizard Skins ordered - in Black) I use the bike daily so I prioritised comfort over original cloth tape.
Also have some rubber on the way, a new set of Continental Tour ride tyres 27 x 1 1/4 (630-32mm) - I decided black here also - and opted for these as most of my biking is urban and roads often contain puncture threats ;-)
The Galaxy will be serviced, fresh gear cables and hopefully get rid of that irritating little buckle ! That's it for now

Thanks for reading

cheys03

Veteran
Superb!! Lovely machine. Great condition too. Thanks for the pics. The dating of the year seems about right, I have one from the mid/late 70s and they share many features though yours is clearly newer with a few improvements.

OP
OP
Sid Mac

Sid Mac

Regular
Superb!! Lovely machine. Great condition too. Thanks for the pics. The dating of the year seems about right, I have one from the mid/late 70s and they share many features though yours is clearly newer with a few improvements.
Thanks. It was in the shed for many a year. I began using it about 2/3 years ago - it just needed a new tyre and a quick service to be roadworthy.
When I was searching for details the other day I saw a few posts/threads here on Galaxy's - may have seen yours, I can't be sure. It's great to see some examples from that era being used and cared for.

OP
OP
Sid Mac

Sid Mac

Regular
Quick update. I ordered and received parts specified above (tyres, handlebar tape, cables etc). I did some work myself and a fellow enthusiast helped me out too !
Here's how the Galaxy looks now - riding beautifully I might add

tempImage7l7JYW.jpg

OP
OP
Sid Mac

Sid Mac

Regular
Finally, I love having the original pump fitted snugly into the frame - really proud to have this bike, and to get to use it daily. School run with my young lad is only a 10 min slow amble up the road, but I'll begin to take it out further when time and weather permits ;-)

tempImageEFOxeo.jpg

Top Bottom