Dawes Galaxy for sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is my beloved 1991 Dawes Galaxy.
It's been well looked after and upgraded over the years, the best introduction to touring bikes you could ever find, and probably the last bike you'll ever need. It's ready to spend the summer trundling across europe, or you could fit skinnier tyres and use it for Audax rides, or load it up with a baby seat and a week's shopping. Really, a jack-of-all-trades. It would shock you how many of the top Audax riders use a Galaxy.
The frame is one of the proper Birmingham made Galaxies, lugged with Reynolds 531ST rather than the tig-welded, Chinese made pretender it is today.
It's 24 speed, with 105/Exage equipment, Avid single digit V brakes, Dia-Compe 287v levers and handbuilt Mavic T520/Deore wheels with tyres that have done less than 100 miles. It's the only touring bike I've ever ridden that can do a stoppie.
icon_eek.gif

Comes with double sided SPD-compatible pedals, and I'll throw in two pairs of cycling shoes with good cleats if you're a size 11, or are prepared to wear extra socks.
54cm, green, and lovely, although I did remove some of the frame stickers to make it look less attractive to thieves. My bikes are deliberately set up so although they look ordinary on the outside, they're functionally as good as new. Who wants a bike they're frightened to lock up in town?
I've ordered a new block and chain for it, and will take photos when they arrive and are fitted.
Closest offer to £300 makes this rather lovely bike yours. I know it sounds like a lot, but before anyone says "£300? But I bought one for a tenner and a portion of chips", trust me when I say this is a really good one. The name "Dawes Galaxy" could refer to a bike made anytime within the last 4 decades, and a mishandled one could be all sorts of trouble. This is the best £300 bike you could find anywhere, the closest thing you could buy to it new for £300 would be a very, very poor second.
I'll post anywhere in mainland UK for £15, although viewing is no problem.

JF2009

Have sent you a PM

PpPete

Legendary Member
If it was bigger I'd be tempted..... but we've already got two that size in the garage, and two 25-1/2" ones as well. Something in between would have been great just in case one of my boys fails to make 6'3".

To say I like the "proper" 531 Galaxy would be an understatement....

OP
OP
C

chris667

Guru
Afraid not. I've got the wrong sized cassette, so have had to order a new one.
Will do as and when that's done.

OP
OP
C

chris667

Guru
Sorry guys, but this is no longer available.
I had it up on the workstand, and actually, it's not as good as I thought it was. I guess this is what happens when you use your bike over winter.
I'm sure it would be OK, but I don't want to sell anything I don't trust 100%.
Sorry to get people's hopes up.

OP
OP
C

chris667

Guru
Sorry, if I had had a proper look at it first I'd never have offered it. But better that I end the sale now than after you've paid £300 for it.

i know you've said your not selling it due to it not being as good as you thought, but I may still be interested depending on what is wrong with it - my road bike sat in a shed for 30 years before i re-built it so i'm not afraid of a challenge

I'm after something to build into a road / touring bike for my fiancee, it is highly possible that it'll need to do all that your saying can be done (other than the stoppie :angry:)

let me know if your still wanting to sell and perhaps can work something out?

Top Bottom