Dawes ?Galaxy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KCC74

Regular
Just found & registered in this Forum because I've been pretty unsuccessful finding info in another. I picked up a Dawes from a farmer with a barnful of bikes. The only identifying mark was the headbadge, there's no decals on the bars stating Dawes or the model. One person did say he thought it awas a Galaxy & I was sent to a catalog with a Galaxy that certainly looks like mine. There's a serial number but it sounds like most info was lost in the fire Dawes suffered. Hubs are Shimano, stamped with a Y, which should be 1974.

It stood out in the barn because of the headbadge, the engraving on the bars, chromed frame, & what looked like a Brooks saddle. I had never heard of Dawes before. Once i started digging for info, I found little on the Bike forum I belong to - I learned a bit about it, enough to feel that it is worth restoring. I've got it mostly torn down & have been cleaning & polishing it.

So, ANY background on the bike itself, the company, & its impact in the 70s would be great. As i g ere more posts, I will post some pics.

KCC74

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome:

Dawes made a full range of bikes.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Dawes are a long established brand and made a huge range of bikes, one of the most popular and long lived is (should say were as the model has just been discontinued) the Galaxy. There were a large variety of specs available. You'll find plenty of info on the net. For decades it was the bike that all tourers were judged against and probably in its heyday in the seventies and eighties.

We need the pics of course but you may not be able to post untill you put up s few more posts but you can always post a link to s photo sharing site.

carpenter

Über Member
Just post a few questions about: colour scheme of Dawes badge; colour scheme of Dawes galaxy, etc. Then post some pictures of the bike.

By the way, I made up a Dawes Galaxy mixte for my daughter - lovely frame; and welcome to the forum :hello:

Top Bottom