Dawes Kingpin Restoration/Refurb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I think I’ve finally finished it. I started this in 2012 and got pretty much how I wanted it in 2013 although I was never quite happy with not having the Sturmey Archer DynoHub and lights on it. So, the bike now is as near as dammit as I can remember how I had one in 1969, except for the Brooks leather saddle and tool bag. This week I swapped from KP2 to KP1, front wheel, lights, kick stand, seat post and front mudguard.

Today I did the lights, gave them another clean, I had to shorten the wire because it was too long and re-connect, I put helicopter tape on parts of the frame where the cable clips went, and remounted the lights and tested. All works( after a faffy bit of tweaking) .

Now I need to decide what to do with the other Kingpin, keep it, break it, sell it complete, customise it....decisions.

B376B466-8EED-4DE7-AA10-9AE1EA2A97AE.jpeg
733CC06C-715C-4A85-9B2B-2F433EA31B9F.jpeg
9210A918-86B9-43C8-9ADE-692F37EE51F8.jpeg
736DFB43-2069-4A29-8571-97EDEC78C507.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The other Kingpin is on the bay of e if anyone is interested.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/254323824399

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I misread Autosol as Anusol above...I suppose the latter would be worth trying on the saddle.

I've spent silly amounts of time fiddling with a similar Raleigh Twenty, which now has a chrome BMX fork with V-brakes, BMX size rims and tyres and a Sachs Duomatic 102 at the rear. Still has the original BB and crankset though...the 78mm shell and Raleigh threading make that an expensive one to solve! Phil Wood BB with Raleigh Super Corsa rings or cut down the shell, ream and sleeve to ISO would both cost over £100.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I misread Autosol as Anusol above...I suppose the latter would be worth trying on the saddle.

I've spent silly amounts of time fiddling with a similar Raleigh Twenty, which now has a chrome BMX fork with V-brakes, BMX size rims and tyres and a Sachs Duomatic 102 at the rear. Still has the original BB and crankset though...the 78mm shell and Raleigh threading make that an expensive one to solve! Phil Wood BB with Raleigh Super Corsa rings or cut down the shell, ream and sleeve to ISO would both cost over £100.

A mere drop in the ocean :rolleyes:

Last edited:

cheys03

Veteran
Stunning job! Absolutely stunning

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Top Bottom